Metro returning 30mpg? :-(

Yeah, found it now. Bit obvious really. :-)

There was some oil in there but below the level shown in the Haynes so I've topped it up. Air filter looks clean enough but will replace on general principles seeing as they're probably about 5p for a crate of a hundred.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

But the consumption figure calculated between fill-ups is only accurate if the pump cuts off at more or less the same fuel tank level each time. Which is what I'm asking - how much variation is there between pumps in that cut-off point? Or even variation with the *same* pump at different times?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

That's what I'm saying, if you run your car for a same mileage and returnm to the pump a few times, if you note the pump's stated delivery on it's dials when you hold the pump in smae psition etc you should get a comparison, provided your drivingis quite consistent and your mileage comparable.

Reply to
Billy H

Doesnt surprise me- its probably well out of tune, and the SU long overdue of a rebuild, new jet and needle- the needle is biased by a spring and rub together- effectively sawing away at each other.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What, after 45,000 miles?

FWIW I think the little bastard has got a cat on it, if this adds anything.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Cat on the carb? haha

well, anything beginning with Cat would be good anywhere according to me ma's bf, but as for me, I don't think it makes a difference.

Reply to
Billy H

The message from "Billy H" contains these words:

Yes, on that particular model of Metro the did. 1.1 K-series engine, with an SU carburettor and a cat. No, really.

Reply to
Guy King