MG ZR exhaust.

Guy at work has asked me to do a temporary weld job on the rear box, as he tells me it costs over £200, which he can't afford right now. No problem with that, as long as he takes it off for me, but I was wondering about the purpose of the butterfly valve I notice in one of the two tail pipes. Vacuum operated by looks of it. Is it just for sound effects? I can't think it adds to performance. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It's a BMW trick and it does increase power output.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How? As I understand it, the tuned length of an exhaust pipe effectively finishes at the first box. After that it's just a question of getting the gasses away without further restriction. Or is the idea that adding backpressure alters the pressure wave pattern in the tuned part of the exhaust? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I think the increased back pressure at low revs aids low down torque, then opening the second pipe at higher revs helps top end power.

Reply to
fishman

On the ZR I looked at, the butterfly valve was open at rest, so it would have to close as soon as the engine was started. Not unlikely I suppose as there would be lower pressure in the inlet manifold, than at WOT. Can't understand how more backpressure would increase torque though. Surely by restricting the exhaust gases, you're restricting the fuel/air intake of the engine? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It's also to reduce noise at lowish engine speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)