Mondeo Towbar for Mk.III Ghia X - Advice Needed!

Evening All

I have just splashed out on a new Mondeo 2005 Ghia X 2.2 TDCi. I have to say, it's an amazing drive, when compared to my old 2.0 Ghia X petrol (130BHP). Now, I must admit, I'm not a caravanner, but nevertheless, I'm a big fan of having a towbar, mainly for daily protection from minor incidents, but also for the purpose of pulling a Laser (a small, one-man fibreglass sailing dinghy, about 15' in length).

So the question to the group is this: I always fitted Witter towbars, and in fact, fitted an F77 to my previous car (the 1997 Ghia X petrol). It seems that I'm now faced with two choices: Either an F92A, or an F108 - the latter being apparently suited to "post 2005 Ghia / ST" models.

The build date of my new car is 11/2004 (registered in March 2005). As far as I can tell, I will be able to fit the Witter F92A bar. But what I'm trying to ascertain is exactly what the difference is in the (more expensive) F108 version. Something to do with the bumpers, maybe?

At any rate, I just want to make sure that I get the right 'bar before doing another of my infamous DIY fitting jobs. This will be my fifth towbar DIY fitment (having done 3 x Mondeos, and a Volvo V70 in the past). Finally - does anyone know if the new Mondeos have a dedicated connector for towbar electrics, somewhere in the boot? I'm guessing that 'Scotchlocking' individual cables onto the existing wiring loom is now a thing of the past.

Any advice to make sure I get the right Witter bar, and make as good a job of it as I did in the 1997 car, will be much appreciated.

Best,

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

I've had good experience of getting a DIY towbar kit for Saab from

They have a few options, including Witter. I found they were cheaper than I would have got if I had gone direct to manufacturer. Good luck Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Like you I've always had a towbar on my cars, but if you think it's good protection, please don't. Twice (in my previous car) I was hit from behind, once with a car that was probably doing 10 mph when it hit me, and the other about 3 mph. In each case, due to the lack of resilience the 'chassis' got bent and had to be pulled straight. So expensive was it that the insurance company nearly wrote the car off first time, even tho' I drove it was perfectly driveable for about 4 weeks before it got repaired.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

No, no, no! Please sell it immediately and buy an RS600. Once you've sailed it you'll know why.... (Especially if you've just left your Contender on the beach, like I had when I first sailed the RS.....)

I've done towbars on most of my cars, Escorts, Golf, Alfa 33, Dedra, Tipo,

406 and recently, a 2003 Megane. All, (including the Megane) had the scotchlok treatment and worked correctly! (But the Alfa showed a problem on the alfacontrol when the lights were on)

Have seen some cos selling a kit to wire 'sensitive' cars, but they seem to be around £70

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui