Mk 4 Golf Alternator warning display

Hi guys, I was on my way to work last week, in my Golf Mk 4 tdi and was startled when I got the display, "ALTERNATOR WORKSHOP!" the battery symbol illuminated and a loud beeping began. I stopped to call work with the intention of taking it straight to a garage, but the warning disappeared and hasn't come back - yet.

I spoke to the local VW dealer who I get on with pretty well, and was surprised to hear the figure 350 pounds mentioned. My battery is quite new, so I assume its new alternator, the car which is '01 has done 182,000.

Somebody else said they could do it for 150-200 pounds depending on which alternator was fitted.

So basically, does 200 quid sound like a good deal, might it be something else, should I leave it if it doesn't come back. is a love song more effective in a minor key? :)

Any general thoughts?

Reply to
Angus
[...]

GSF

have alternators for your car in the range of UKP180-240, with UKP48-120 back upon return of your old unit.

If it was mine, I would pull apart and clean any electrical connectors in the vicinity of the alternator, and check the condition of the drive belt. I would then leave it a week to see if it happened again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Oddly enough a couple of years ago a customer asked me to change the alternator on a golf, the AA or Rac had diagnosed it as faulty, the customer supplied the alternator from GSF and it was the wrong one, eventually the right one was supplied and I fitted it, same problem, no charge and no charge warning light. I checked out the charging light circuit and found there was no connection from alternator to dash light, found the problem of a broken wire, somewhere near the battery IIRC and repaired it. That whole escapade cost the customer about 200 quid more than it needed to have done.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Common on the Polo/Fabia/Ibiza- the warning lamp wire breaks at a connection point attached to the gearbox.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks guys for the helpful advice. Its still behaving well, so based on what has been said I'll hold off on a replacement alternator for now.

Reply to
Angus

For the record guys, the fault came back.

I took it to my garage and they have replaced the alternator freewheel pulley and auxiliary belt.

Hopefully, that's sorted it. Thanks again.

Reply to
Angus