Mondeo doesn't like doing 30mph

Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 GLX on a "P" reg, (EEC IV) 90k miles. Runs fine but really doesn't like doing 30mph in 4th. It's like it kangaroos, it misses, then picks up etc, weird. It's absolutely fine doing 35 or 25 but at an indicated 30 that's when it acts up. Is this likely to be some issue with the fact that the revs are 1200ish at this point and it's something weird with the idle control/TPS or somesuch? The *really* weird thing is that it doesn't do it at 1200rpm in 1st,2nd or 3rd...

Worse when cold, less noticeable when fully warmed up. The thing idles just fine and runs *perfectly* otherwise, not showing any error codes either. Recent emissions test was fine. Any ideas? Or is it just a case of putting up with it?

It is a little heavy on fuel (av 27mpg), but that's probably because it gets mostly used for short journeys in town...

Oh, and it's had new (Ford) plugs, leads, air filter, coolant temp sensor and thermostat. All of which it needed ;) but none of which made any difference to the problem.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

If it's had those, then it looks like it could be the old Zetec sticking valve problem.

A short time fix/test, is to run some very strong injector cleaner through it - such as Forte' or Fortron, both of which aren't cheap, but are about the best in the market.

To start off, remove a vacuum pipe, and stick it into the bottle so that the tube *just* enters the fluid. Then rev up the engine so as to prevent it stalling. Suck up about 1/3 of the bottle, and then stick the rest in the tank. You'll need to do this in a clear space somewhere, as you'll chuck out a lot of smoke. Try sucking the fluid up in short bursts, perhaps a couple of seconds, then remove, let the smoke clear, and do it again.

If it improves, try it again after a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Stab in the dark - vacuum leak?

What happens if you're doing 30 in 5th?

Try taking it on the motorway and cain the arse of it in everygear (probably not so easy to try in first).

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Stab in the dark - vacuum leak?

What happens if you're doing 30 in 5th?

Try taking it on the motorway and cain the arse of it in everygear (probably not so easy to try in first). If it's a vacuum leak it should appear at other parts of the range in most gears, if not it could be sticky valves, although at P reg, I'd have thought you're engine would be the Zetec-E.

One solution is to do an oil change with 5W30 semi synth, take for a good arse kicking, and then re test.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Works fine otherwise though, would it just show up like this? It's always had the right oil, (it came with FSH) and has Ford semi-synth in it atm.

Ok, will try that, might improve the mpg a little too.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Not one I can find anyway...

It doesn't do it...

Did that t'other day, can't feel it missing at all at any other speed, it's bizarre really.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

G-Man wrote: snip

AFAICT it's a series one lump, likely sitting around for quite a while before it got registered ;)

It's got that in it anyway, and the service history claims it's always had it...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

The recommended stuff is the Ford 5w/30 grade. Anything thicker will cause problems.

And yes, it could show up like that. The fact that it's worse when warming up is a big indicator.

Yes, it won't do any harm either way.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It's got the Ford £20 5w/30 in it, thought that was semi synth?

Ok :) It's just that it isn't down on power at all when cold, nor difficult to start - which most people seem to report when they have the sticky valve problem. What it feels most like, is as if my foot was moving slightly on the throttle pedal IYSWIM.

That's always A Good Thing :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Actually, I think it mineral, but it could have been upgraded since I last worked on them.

Ah, I see, that you can't do anything about, that's a firmware issue in the ECU.

Indeed. It's not a bad idea to run this stuff through from time to time anyway - the good stuff, not the cheap snake-oil.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

What about the throttle position sensor on the side of the throttle body,there a common fault as there plastis and a metal pin moves around inside it,hence creating a groove over time,or egr valve on bulhead,silver box very common fault which gives you crap mpg, Look at the back of the coil pack theres a big round valve with two pipes coming out,joining onto the pipes is two rubber hoses one goes to a valve on the bulkhead next to that silver box,remove the pipe bung it and see if it runs better. Or try

very helpfull site.

Reply to
simondo

My Mk2 is getting a bit like that, 65,000 on the clock. I might try the jet cleaner, thanks for this thread very interesting

Reply to
BORG

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Reply to
Ian Santry

Are you sure it is missing, and not just kangarooing? It could be drivetrain slop showing up. My celica 4x4 gets a little bit like that. It is a lot better since I swapped the rear engine mount.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to have a proper look at it over the weekend...

Lee

Reply to
Lee