hard starting 87 wrangler 4 cyl.

For the last couple of days my 87 4cyl has been hard to start. I prime it with a thimble full of gas and it starts up and runs fine. It continues to run fine until the next morning. It doesn't seem to be getting any fuel after sitting overnight even when I pump the living snot out of the accelorator. It doesn't do this everytime. The 4 banger runs really smooth with no misses or surges once it gets running. It starts right up once I put a tad bit of gas down the carb. Any ideas as to the most likely cause?? thanks bob kuhn

87 4 cyl 92 4.0L
Reply to
the KUHNhunter

L.W.(ßill)

Yes.

Could either be the gas filter in upside down or a pinhole leak in the line from the pump to the tank.

The fuel filter has two outlets, the center one goes to the carb and the top one goes to the return line.

If the outlet for the return line isn't at the top, the gas will syphon back to the tank and air lock the fuel pump.

If there is a pinhole leak on the suction line from the pump to the tank, it won't leak when running, but it will let air in to empty the line when it sits.

A visual inspection can find that, look for stains on the gas line near the clamps to the frame usually. Usually the back one just before the rubber hose to the tank is the bad one too. Next is the one up front where the rubber hose connects.

Mike

the KUHNhunter wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Could it be that the carb is drying out (a hole in the float bowl... is that what it's called??)?

Reply to
Joe