Idle revs on Mondeo

My Mondeo (1998) recently revs at around 1200 when idle and remains around the 1,000 mark after an hour or so, whereas a few weeks ago it was purring nicely around 750-800 revs - what are the likely causes and how easy is it to fix the problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Hi Scooby Doo

In my case crap in the throttle body preventing the plates from fully closing

Reply to
Steve Sweet

This is exactly the same as mine. When cold/clutch in & rolling is 1200, normal idle is 1000 (idle is specified as 950).

This is on the 2.0 petrol.

I'd have said (personally) that 750-800 is a bit low!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Usually broken wires on the PSPS as they rub on the underside of the bonnet.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

750-800 is correct as specified for a black top (i.e. post mid 97) Zetec E.

Silver tops are 850-950rpm)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

May 98 surely? They were still using the earlier engines even in the post- facelift Mk 2.

Ah, that explains it then! I've got an August 98 with a May 98 silver top, which idles at 950 on the dot.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Sorry, i meant 98- slip of the oily finger!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.