Wandering Mondeo

While my Mondeo Mk2 is being repaired ( new bumper) I 've been using an Astra Hire Car .I did one of my occasional runs down the motorway and noticed the difference in handling between it and my own car ( R Reg 56 Thou Miles) . I have previously felt my Mondeo wandering slightly and the steering slightly imprecise ,my having to correct it. I think sidewinds affect it more too. I don't really notice it running around locally .

I appreciate this newish Astra ( 08 Plate- 36 1/2 Thou Miles) should drive better .

I'm going to get the wishbones replaced after I get it back so should that make any difference or should I be looking elsewhere for the solution ...Wheel Alignment or any other bushes ,for example?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

tyres, wishbones, track rod ends, rack. They all wear.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The Mondeo should piss all over the Astra in regards to handling. They've been noted for their handling since the start.

Worn wishbone bushes certainly won't be helping.

Reply to
Conor

Just to clarify.... . I'm guessing it's a Plus for the Mondeo ? :-)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Blimey, if it's worse than an Astra the it will improve easily. Wishbone bushes, track rod ends & if they're original, shocks & springs.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yep.

Reply to
Conor

LOL....iirc ( I'd need to check receipts ) TRE's were done before and the front springs were definitely done more than once due to breakages for some reason so I'll see what difference the wishbones make .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Rear subframe bushes if it's a saloon or hatch (Estate's don't have 'em). They're common for going, and when they do it can introduce some highly unusual handling traits. Bugger to do without a workshop though.

Reply to
Pete M

Could this be down to not aligning the subframe properly after clutch change? I haven't done a mondeo, but I'm told this can happen.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Wishbone bushes and antiroll bar bushes are the main things that wear. I still found my Mk1 Mondeo to be a bit vague on the motorway though even after all those things had been done. My Focus by comparison is rock steady. I think a slight amount of wander might be a Mondeo trait.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Clutch hasn't been changed .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

It could well be so Dave . I'll get the mechanic to check the TRE's as well and maybe just change them while he is at it and I'll get the alignment done afterwards and I'll see how that goes .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

they also have issues with rear subframe bushes

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's the Mk3 sal / hatch though innit?

That was my first thought until I realised the OP said Mondeo Mk2. Mk3s can wander like John Terry when the rear subframe bushes are worn.

Reply to
Pete M

Mine used to follow those raised white lines until I had them fixed.

Reply to
Gordon H

Was it a Mk 2 or a Mk 3 ??

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

Mk3. I used to have a Mk2, which broke two coil springs, true to reputation I believe, from what I've learned here.

The 3 also seems prone to be pulled by very slight road channels, on the braking distance to a local roundabout.

I've had rear subframe bushes done, and 4 new tyres and I haven't been conscious of the problem lately...

Reply to
Gordon H