Mondeo Glow Plug Feed Smoking

hello car is a 2000/w 1.8 td mondeo
Had bonnet open and engine running today and the feed to the glow plugs started smoking and is very hot.im not sure is this is a new problem or has
been happening for a while
Obviously a short somewhere or a faulty part - My question is although the car will be harder to stop but can I disconnect this wire and tape it up until I get to the route of the problem or it goes into the garage to sort out.
any pointers very much appreciated
-- regards

It will be hard to start with the glowplugs disconnected, but you could always manually jump it for the first start of the day, the rest of the time it will be ok.
All the glow plugs should be checked as one may be shorting to earth (not very likely) or one of the leads is going to earth, however, there should be no power to the glow plugs a few seconds after starting, so it may be that the relay has stuck on.