Are tachometers unneccessary in automatics?

Having recetly starting using an automatic, is the tachometer unneccessary?

Reply to
Mas

Mas (Max) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Are they *necessary* in cars with manual boxes?

Reply to
Adrian

In some cars, but not a lot, yes they are.

Reply to
gazzafield

It is necessary if you need to refer to it !

For instance if you are deaf, have no mechanical feel and use manual selection/lock up. Could also be useful when towing, very handy to check whether the heated windows work too, also a useful guide to how well the car runs/idles etc.

I like having a tacho on any car, manual or auto, essential ? no.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Really? Which? How would you define those?

Reply to
Adrian

The rev happy variety. Of which I have found there are few. Most cars are gasping well before the redline. Yes, there's a limiter but I'd rather not hit it.

Reply to
gazzafield

So the tacho wouldn't be necessary.

One needs to qualify "necessary".

Reply to
adder1969

One needs to stop being so pedantic.

Reply to
gazzafield

And if the speedo fails too.

Reply to
malc

No.

Reply to
DervMan

For the deaf or hard of hearing, perhaps. But all deaf drivers I know have an automatic for that reason...

Reply to
DervMan

Also useful if the radio is too loud :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Given 90% of the vehicles on the road don't have one it'll be a new definition of necessary.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ooohh careful in today's policitically correct society you can't go around writing things like that! :-)

But anyway that's why I put "perhaps." I'm not deaf, but I'd imagine one can feel the engine for a good chunk of cars.

Reply to
DervMan

Yup - because my speedo failed, and I just swapped the stepper motor over from the rev counter to the speedo. Result - no rev counter, but working speedo. Cheaper than the £360 + VAT Peugeot wanted. ;)

David Hearn

Most of the world just changes up at somewhat below half the rev limit, as they where taught during their driving lessons.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My Capper. Has a warm cam in and it's nice to know I'm still in the powerband on a gearchange.

Reply to
Conor

I have three vehicles at the moment and all have a tacho fitted as standard. The last vehicle I had without one was a MkI Contina, so I think it is probably much less than 90%.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I have eight vehicles at the moment. One has a tacho.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:Xns98EDCC956D8BFadrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.245.131:

AFAIK, for several years now, only the smallest vehicles of the most basic specification have been made without a tachometer. Admittedly, that description accounts for a large portion of all cars sold, but surely it's nothing close to 90%? I would have guessed at 50 at the most, and less with automatics, since they are more prevalent amongst bigger, more luxurious cars.

Stu

Reply to
Stu