Mondeo Idling

Evening all,

I've noticed that my '97 Mondeo seems to come close to stalling sometimes, when cold and under load (i.e. with headlights and heated windows on).

It doesn't happen when standing still. When I'm driving and approaching a junction or coming to a halt and I disengage the clutch and knock it into neutral, the revs drop to the point where you can hear the engine struggling and the lights start to dim. This only happens for a fraction of a second and then the revs rise back to normal.

It's fine when warmed up. I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but my best guess is that the ISCV is gunked up which is why it takes longer to react when cold.

Is that anywhere near an accurate diagnosis? If so, could this be a DIY job with some carb cleaner?

If not, any suggestions?

Ta,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

imagination,

Yep your diagnosis seems pretty spot on- you can clean out the ISCV yourself with some carb cleaner- you'll need some torx bits, and some patience and long arms to remove it(!)

I would also take off the inlet pipe, jam the throttle wide open, and using a clean cloth *damp* not wet with carb cleaner, wipe out the throttle body too. These are teflon coated and not meant to be cleaned, but I do anyways- as they must be clean to get enough base idle air in which the ISCV adds to.

Check the inlet manifold for air leaks too- the rubber elbow at the coil pack end which feeds the vacuum servo for the heater recric amungst other things is a favorite to split and leak.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l