mondeo knock sensor/injector

hello

have been offered a mondeo 02 diesel with low power on acceleration car has done 82k person who owns car has taken it to a mechanic who advised faulty injector/ knock sensor

what is a knock sensor and if so how much

does this car sound like a lemon ?

-- cheers

Reply to
William Teach

I'm not quite up to speed on the latest diesels, but I'd say it's a lot of s**te. Knock sensors are used on petrols to detect pre-ignition and allows the ECU to retard the timing accordingly.

If, of course, diesels use such sensors, I am more than willing to be corrected.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The Mondeo TDCIs certainly do, to decrease noise. They notice the diesel knock, and fiddle with the timing until it goes away.

If it *is* an injector problem (quite common from what I've seen on formondeo.org), then they can be expensive to replace.

If the injector has gone though, it would be flashing the glowplug light.

The "low down on power" could quite easily be it in Limp Home Mode.

The car would have to be seriously cheap, becaue IIRC, diesels account for ~50% of the Mondeos, and they're not a rare car.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The MIL lamp should be in if its an injector problem, which as others have said is fairly common.

However, failed turbo's and faulty air mass meters are just as common on the TDCi, which under most circumstances will *not* bring on the lamp. There will be no extra exhaust smoke with these two faults.

If its smoking really heavily and down on power then the EGR valve has failed, which is also really common!

I would avoid this car unless severely cheap.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim.. ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mother-in-Law lamp?

Reply to
Adrian

cheers for the heads up i will steer clear

best wishes

Reply to
William Teach

Might as well be - it's something you don't want to see and when you do it usually signifies trouble...

(Actually 'Malfunction Indicator Light')

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton