mondeo injector leak

Hello,

I have a 2L diesel 60 plate Mondeo. 55k miles (I think). The injectors are covered by a thin plastic cover. I opened the bonnet to change the oil and I noticed this cover had disintegrated and there was a tar like film underneath it.

I have taken it to a garage that says the injector may be leaking. I was told that it is likely it needs a new washer. They said I could buy a washer and do it myself. I haven't one this before; is it simple to do, or should I pay them to do it?

Why do the washers wear; is it just age and vibration?

I took it to a second garage and they said they would do all four injectors at the same time because if one had worn, the others might follow. The first garage said they would only touch the one that is leaking and there is no point disturbing the others.

I was told a large part of the cost is not swapping the washer but cleaning everything up. I've been advised to use oven cleaner to remove the tar (diesel?). I've read on the internet that some people use brake cleaner. Is one better than the other for this purpose?

The one garage has said in a worst case scenario a pin that holds the injector in place may have snapped and need drilling out and replacing.

They are saying it will be £200 ish to change the washers or £500+ if the pin has broken. I'm in the Midlands.

Does all of this sound about right?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

On 13/09/2014 08:09, Stephen wrote:> Hello, > > I have a 2L diesel 60 plate Mondeo. 55k miles (I think). The injectors > are covered by a thin plastic cover. I opened the bonnet to change the > oil and I noticed this cover had disintegrated and there was a tar > like film underneath it. > > I have taken it to a garage that says the injector may be leaking. I > was told that it is likely it needs a new washer. They said I could > buy a washer and do it myself. I haven't one this before; is it simple > to do, or should I pay them to do it? > > Why do the washers wear; is it just age and vibration? > > I took it to a second garage and they said they would do all four > injectors at the same time because if one had worn, the others might > follow. The first garage said they would only touch the one that is > leaking and there is no point disturbing the others. > > I was told a large part of the cost is not swapping the washer but > cleaning everything up. I've been advised to use oven cleaner to > remove the tar (diesel?). I've read on the internet that some people > use brake cleaner. Is one better than the other for this purpose? > > The one garage has said in a worst case scenario a pin that holds the > injector in place may have snapped and need drilling out and > replacing. > > They are saying it will be £200 ish to change the washers or £500+ if > the pin has broken. I'm in the Midlands. > > Does all of this sound about right? > > Thanks, > Stephen. >

If it is anything like the 1.6 Focus then the washers, are pennies, the spill pipe kit is about £7, probably change from a tenner.

The problem is getting the thing apart/injectors out as that black tar like stuff glues everything together. You then need to clean it up with lots of scraping and scrubbing and esure that the seat where the washer sits is perfectly clean.... All this whilst not getting too much gunk into the cylinder. You may need to replace the injector tubes one of mine had corroded.

Its time more than anything, but mine took the best part of an afternoon and that was with me doing the running around for parts, brewing up and helping with the clean up op.

The garage had fashioned a tool for cleaining up the seats.

Reply to
Tom Burton