Mondeo P00BD code hose leak

Hello,

I have a 60 plate, 2L diesel Mondeo.

Yesterday I was driving along and noticed that when I accelerated, I could hear a wind noise, a "whoosh" from the engine. This had not happened before.

The engine light and error message came on later but I never had any problems with loss of power or smoothness.

I had a google and it said this could be caused by a hose going to the turbo being split or fallen off.

I took the air intake parts out and had a good look at them. The filter was due a replacement, so I did that but I wasn't quite sure what hoses I was supposed to be looking for. Can't find my Haynes book at the moment. I was only looking into the engine from above. I wasn't sure whether there were hoses I need to check behind or underneath as well?

Today I had to pop out and had the same problem again and once or twice I noticed it was not so smooth going uphill.

A bit more googling suggested looking at the intercooler. I went out with my torch and sure enough there is a big fat hose, two inches or more in diameter that has a spilt just over an inch long on the top.

So I have a couple of questions. Not that it changes the outcome but why has it split here? I can't think that anything sharp has dropped on it. No-one has been working on the car recently.

Is getting the hose from the dealer the right or wrong thing to do? The google results suggested buying from ebay. Will it cost much more from the dealer? I'm not confident I would get the right part from ebay.

I don't know if I will have time to fit the hose at the weekend. Is there some sort of tape I could use to bodge it until next week?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Historically this would have been a dealer part if it is specially shaped. No harm in finding one on eBay and fitting that.

The pressures and resulting forces are significant. Duct tape might work but not something I would choose to do or indeed have done. The pipe would need to be clean for tape to stick. I would prefer to replace the pipe at the earliest instance. Again nothing to lose by trying.

Reply to
Fredxx

There are specific repair kits, but even they don't work other than for a day or so. Mine went next day.

The split will get worse and the car will become less driveable.

I had one on a Focus 1.8 TDCI go - twice. Not only can't you buy it on its own (it comes attached to a totally unnecessary replacement metal pipe, bumping the cost up and then you undo the jubilee clip, remove the hose from the pipe and throw the pipe away to make installation easier!), but it was obviously a weak point. That one was an elbow, something like 42mm diameter at one end and 46mm at the other. I found silicone ones on Ebay (at less than a quarter the price of the proper one), had to trim the ends shorter, but then never had it fail again.

If you do go the Ebay route, check the dimensions fo your existing hose and search for those - my elbow was not listed as for a Focus, just by the sizes.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Just had email from dealer:

Intercooler to Inlet manifold hose £73.64 inc vat

Intercooler to turbo hose £132.89 inc vat

!!!!!

Reply to
Stephen

£12 to £15 on Ebay - Silicone as well

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, that's where I will be looking!

So what is the benefit of silicone, is it that it doesn't perish?

I have found the split, it's in the pipe that runs to the front of the engine, so that would be the intercooler to inlet manifold wouldn't it? I assume the turbo is hidden round the back of the engine for easy access to the exhaust? I haven't found that yet!

Reply to
Stephen

Is there a web site where you can view the Ford part numbers and ideally see exploded views, so that I can be sure to order the right one?

Reply to
Stephen

I've no idea. I live only a couple of miles from Quikco, who used to be (may still be?) the supplier to Ford dealers and independent garages all over the country (and a friend of mine used to work there) and so I just used to nip in to the counter and they'd bring up the part on their screens.

The ones on Ebay seem to be pretty specific though, so it should be easy enough to find one that they say is for your car and looks the same shape as the one you've got.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It is far more resistant than the conventional materials to heat-aging (stiffening and cracking).

That's where it was on the Focus.

I actually had a problem and a garage diagnosed a failed turbo. I was really lucky though. I got under the car to remove it, planning to buy a refurbished unit and wanting to check for a match. When I got under, I found that there was a link from the actuator to the variable vanes and the link had popped off! It just needed putting back on and a new circlip.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Years ago a friend moved from the smoke to 'here be dragons' and bought a passat diesel, that went wrong, he put it into a VW dealer, they diagnosed failed turbo and quoted an astronomical price, he took the car home, ordered a recon turbo, when he looked into fitting it, he found a split hose.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've contacted a few sellers but they only have hoses for the mk3 not mk4 Mondeo. May have to go to the dealer soon :(

Reply to
Stephen

My '97 BMW had silicone coolant hoses. Never replaced one in the near 20 years I owned it. Quite remarkable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)