MOT advisory question

My car's just failed the MOT & the garage is going to rectify the failure & retest. There were also some advisories (front brake pads, discs & bad earth on rear light), which I've rectified myself. When they retest & issue a certificate, can these advisories be removed from the new certificate, as they've been corrected?

Reply to
dean clayton

dean clayton ("dean clayton" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You won't get an advisory with the new certificate, if the faults have been fixed - but, yes, of course the old advisory will still exist - because the faults existed at the time the advisory was issued.

The MOT is purely a record of vehicle condition AT THE TIME OF THE TEST. No more, no less. At the time of that test, the faults they issued advisories for existed.

Reply to
Adrian

Last time I took a car for a retest, I still had the advisories that I'd fixed...

Reply to
Doki

Check here and you will find any advisories going back to when computerised MOT's started. They are never removed.

Graham

Fine, no problem.

Until they start fining you on the spot for advisories that are either not non-roadworthy yet, on for advisories that were fixed so long ago the pipe or whatever doesn't look new any more...

Reply to
PCPaul

PCPaul (PCPaul ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, an advisory is just that - AN ADVISORY.

If something's roadworthy, there's nothing to fine for. If something's not roadworthy, then it doesn't matter whether it's been advised or not, because it's not roadworthy.

FWIW, I wandered past a parked 07-reg Audi Q7 earlier. Both tyres on the pavement side were completely bald.

Reply to
Adrian

'Quick fit' advisories on a 2000 306 (it did fail on other things)

included (2 pages!)

offside coil spring corroded some corrosion on exhaust slight surface corrosion on rear discs spare tyre flat and perished engine bay cover loose/insecure some corrosion on both front shock absorbers

there was another 8!! some relevent most crap If that car ever gets checked in the future!!

took it to his local garage, still failed but the cost of repair was less than half QF wanted

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

I got both a pass (VT20) and a fail (VT30) from the same test, so I'm not sure if I have a valid MOT or not?

Reply to
johannes

johannes (johannes ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You sure the pass wasn't later than the fail? The failed first time round, fixed, then passed.

What's the MOT database show?

Adrian

It was one and the same MOT test performed between 8am and 9am.

Reply to
johannes

johannes (johannes ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sounds like it failed on something minor which was then fixed and - since there was no need for a full retest - a pass issued.

What was the fail for? What times are on the certificates? What does the MOT database show?

Reply to
Adrian

I got two different MOT numbers, one says PASS, the other says FAIL. both issued the same day.

Reply to
johannes

There are no times on the certificates, only same date.

PASS and FAIL when I enter the MOT numbers.

Reply to
johannes

johannes (johannes ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Do they both have the same test number on the certificate?

So why does the certificate I have next to me say "Issue date/time: March

6th 2008 (ZERO EIGHT) 12:48"?

You'll excuse me for not having a fail to hand...

And if you view the history?

Reply to
Adrian

That's why the thread started. (Or was it another MOT advisory thread.. it was very recent, anyway).

Bald or as-designed almost-slicks, which I've seen on a few higher end Audis?

Reply to
PCPaul

Quick Fit ? Do you mean Kwik-Fit? If so, the list below becomes clearer.. "stuff that we can't fail it on but would like to use to scare you into spending some money" I note it's only things KF would replace...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Fuck sake. I have a stainless steel exhaust that's got surface rust.

Reply to
Conor

They both say the same time, 09:05

Both appear in the history.

Reply to
johannes

If you've got an MOT you've got an MOT, failing an MOT doesn't invalidate a previous (or future) one. If your car doesn't compy with the C&U regulations it doesn't comply regardless of the MOTs status.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Just curious...how do "almost-slicks" conform to minimum tread requirements?

Reply to
Terry F