MOT advisory

Already a year since my last MOT it passed, but with 2 advisories. One was for "slightly corroded brake hose ferrule N/S/F" and "slightly corroded brake hose ferrule N/S/R"

I couldn't speak to the tester about it as he was too busy.

The mechanic at reception said it was worth doing in the next 6months ?

I was wondering if this is a simple DIY (I've done the brake pads/discs hubs, bearings etc before with the air od the haynes)

Just wondering what the heck a ferrule is lol ? and if thats a seperate replaceable item or as part of the brake hose ? probly best to replace the hose anyway if its not.

The cars a mk4 golf 1.6se 1999 Auto, AEH engine.

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen

Hmm - methinks a bit of overzealousness!

The ferrule is the metal collar than covers a rubber brake hose for an inch or so where it meets the caliper or bodywork. It stops the hose bending sharply and thus eventually breaking and spreads the load when tugged.

Quite how this rusting can be an advisory escapes me (tho I know nothing about the ins and out of MOT testing) - at worst its going to rust away to nothing - then the hose *may* start to chafe. I can see an advisory at *this* point if the hose *is* starting to chafe...

After all, you could replace the hose with a sub-standard item not using ferrules and be in a *worse* position than having a rusty ferrule!

Okay, I take that back sort of:

"One part of the brake hose that can escape assessment is the ferrule, this is the metal union which is crimped on to the end of the hose and provides the connection for the brake caliper or cylinder. Excessive corrosion here is not acceptable and will be a fail item. Whilst on the subject of corrosion many people ask ?what is excessive corrosion on a brake pipe??? According to the chapter dealing with brakes in the MoT Inspection Manual ?a rigid brake pipe excessively chafed, corroded or damaged so that its wall thickness is reduced by 1/3 (approximately

0.25mm for a typical 4.75mm brake pipe) is a reason for rejection??. Obviously the only way to accurately assess this is to remove the section of pipe, clean it and measure the wall thickness with a pin anvil micrometer! Just as obvious is the impracticality, so trust is placed on the MoT tester to employ knowledge and experience in assessing a brake pipe and deciding whether pass or fail."
Reply to
Paul

As ever, the answer is here:

"3.6B 4e brake hose ferrules excessively corroded"

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

wire brush it and paint or grease.

Reply to
Peter Hill
[...]

Or you could do the sensible thing and replace them.

They will be under a tenner each, and you can change the brake fluid at the same time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan