Does A Blowing Exhaust Fail MOT And Why?

Does anyone know if a blowing back box on car would fail MOT?

Is it anything to do with the louder noise than normal, because you see all other cars with sporty exhausts and theirs seem to get through the MOT fine

Wiggy!

Reply to
Wiggy

If it's a "significantly large" hole it will fail, otherwise it won't/shouldn't. It's to do with gases going up into the car as much as anything.

Reply to
adder1969

Chance of fumes in the car and emission failure

Reply to
Jimmy

Wiggy ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

No, it's because if it's blowing it's either not fitted correctly or it's falling apart.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes it will fail. THe only place exhaust gases are allowed to come out=20 is the end of the tailpipe.

It hasn't to do with the noise. The tester will block off the end of=20 the tailpipe and hear the hiss.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

That's not strictly true. Some exhausts have small holes drilled in them to allow condensation to drain. Exhaust comes out of these and that's OK.

From

2a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection

Reply to
Guy King

Are you allowed to put aluminium tape over a hole? Mine has a small hole, it makes a nice noise I like my hole. But MOT next month. :(

Reply to
Marvin

The message from Marvin contains these words:

From

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound

Seriously, chaps, why not add

to your favouritesand stop asking questions you could answer in a few moments from thewebsite?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Number of times I've pasted that URL in here...

Reply to
Adrian

and if your that bored you can also view on-line all the special notices we get sent.

reg

So who's volunteering to assemble an FAQ for this NG?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from "reg" contains these words:

Fuck but it's rivetting!

Reply to
Guy King

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you just did.

Has anybody EVER read a NG FAQ?

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sad but true.

Bookmarked.

Reply to
Adrian

uk.d-i-y is very good.

I'm tempted but it wouldn't be a one man job. I'd need the 'experts' to write their bits up once and for all.... I'd just dump it on a website somewhere.

Reply to
PC Paul

Hah! No.

uk.music.guitar used to have a very good one until its maintainer retired.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Here too..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Thats nice for you, but to the untrained eye it becames clearer if one asks.

Fluke

Reply to
fluke