Corsa Sump Replacement Query

I am about to change the sump on a '95 1.2 petrol Corsa. The existing one is corroded and leaking, so I have a replacement and a new gasket. What I'm wondering is, is the gasket ok on its own, or should I also use some gasket sealer? Any advice on this, or any other tips on the job, will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Reply to
Spleurker

its common on the Vauxhall's for the sump to rot, if both surfaces are clean and free from debris, I just smear the gasket with grease on both sides, you can use silicon sealer, but normally just the gasket smeared in grease does the job, you might find its bit of a bugger to remove the sump after the bolts have been removed, just use a thing scraper between the sump and gasket to pry apart, if it refuses to budge use a pry bar and gently tap it between the sump and gasket but watch out for the oil pick up !!

Reply to
reg

Thanks for that mate. I'm doing today so hopefully it all goes well. Cheers

Reply to
Spleurker

Don't use silicone. It ends up clogging the oil pump pickup or worse. If you

*must* use a sealer, use one that's designed for the job, not one that dissolves in fuel.
Reply to
Doki

a light smearing rather then a long snake impression of it shouldn't do any any harm, in fact I know it doesn't do any harm.

Reply to
reg

Thanks for tips everybody. I just used a smear of grease round the gasket, which also helped to keep it in place when fitting the sump. Not too bad a job to do really. Cheers

Reply to
Spleurker