MOT Test - it's always the small things!

Well, today was the big day for my missus Berlingo. At 8:45am prompt, it arrived for his MOT test. The tester was running a little behind because some berk with a BMW was arguing that the exhaust analysers weren't accurate as "BMW said it was ok". The tester, being a patient chap, tested his car on both testing machines, both came up with the same reading. The berk still argued that the machines were wrong, so the tester showed him the calibration certificates from last Friday, and told him to go and get BMW to pass it, as he was not going to..

Anyway, the Berlingo went through the test and failed.

The tester came over to me, and said "Do you do all your own work on this vehicle?"

"Yes", I replied, whilst thinking "Oh b*$£%^s, what did I do?"..

He then walked into his office. He came back and said "Sadly, I can't fix it for you". He handed me 2 number plate light bulbs and a screwdriver, and moved the car into an adjacent bay. "It appears all the work at the front end has been done to a high standard but you forgot to check these. Fix it while I do the paperwork".

So, I replaced the numberplate bulbs, and the car got a 13 month ticket - with a fail certificate, and a pass certificate issued within 2 minutes of each other.

In all seriousness, If you are in South Berkshire, I would really recommend Drift Road MOT - out in the country between Binfield/Fifield and Twyford. Very experienced testers, they don't do repairs, very fair - they're feeling the pinch at the moment with the recession, but you could do yourself a favour by getting a fair test and not be ripped off by a garage that does repairs and fails your car when it need not..

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

+1

The older guy there, Terry, is one of the nicest, mild-mannered men I've ever met in the motor trade.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That's nice to hear. I've hated MOT time coming round each year ever since taking my Sierra to The Chalfonts Motor Company in Chalfont St Peter in about 1990. The test back then was only about £25 or £30 but when I went to pick the car up after work after it passed I got presented with a bill for both the agreed MOT fee plus a massive 50% mark up, another 15 quid for "adjusting headlights and idle mixture". Well I'm pretty damn sure there was nothing wrong with either since I'd set them up before the test but anyway they'd been given no instruction to fix anything least of all rip me off for half the MOT fee for 2 minutes work even if any of it had actually needed doing.

After telling them where they could stick their 15 quid, somewhere far from sunlight, we settled on £7.50 and I reluctantly paid it rather than end up with no car for ages while it got fought out in the small claims court. Needless to say they never got another car of mine or indeed anyone I knew to test whereas your guy will no doubt have a steady stream of repeat business from happy customers.

I've never understood why some firms think the best way to build a business is rip off everyone who comes through the door. I wonder if the 15 quid trick got played on every MOT customer or was it because that day I had a suit on and they didn't know I designed engines for a living and was more than a little cognisant about the cars the engines fit into?

Anyway, happily I now have a Gary so the Focus will get a pre MOT check and fix up from a highly experienced ex MOT tester and then a quick pass from one of his mates.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Indeed he is - it was Terry that did my MOT yesterday and gave me the bulbs..

Reply to
Mike P