Mondeo 1.8 - 42,000 miles, plugs and leads?

Due for service and MOT, I remember it being suggested here that new plugs and ignition leads were recommended at this mileage.
Might as well have it done at the same time?

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 16:00:43 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

100% yes; it may well save you the cost of a coil in the future...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Ok thanks, I think it was either Mr C or yourself who mentioned it.
The dealer (aka call centre) offered a 75,000 mile service at 244 "because I hadn't kept to the service schedule". With a broken ankle 15 months ago and two cataract ops in the winter my mileage was very low anyway, so I postponed the service until the MOT was due.
When I turned that down it was 99 'value service', plus plugs and leads...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 16:00:43 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

100% yes; it may well save you the cost of a coil in the future...
Chris
Sorry to butt in, I'm in a similar boat and wondering if the HT leads from somewhere like eurocarparts will do as they are a bit cheaper than genuine ones just wondering if fords are fussy with parts like this ?
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:41:10 +0100, Matthews wrote:
[...]

No problem!

Absolutely not in the case of Zetec engines. Only use genuine plugs and leads from a dealer.
The change interval is only every 40k miles, so most owners will only do them once.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:41:10 +0100, Matthews wrote:
[...]

No problem!

Absolutely not in the case of Zetec engines. Only use genuine plugs and leads from a dealer.
The change interval is only every 40k miles, so most owners will only do them once.
Chris
Ah ha I have the black top zetec engine I believe. I did just do its 50k service all genuine parts used. But I did not do the leads. From the sound of it I better had get a new set from ford and change them to protect the expensive coil. I had a bit of a miss start or non start a few times new plugs sorted that.
Only had the car a short while, I've been getting on with it well, despite a few minor niggles which I have sorted on the drive way. A few common fault one was the thermostat housing and now the vehicle speed sensor which I will get at as soon as I can before it becomes an issue, although in reality I will get the part and new pin and wait for it to give a few of the signs you mentioned in you post above, thanks for that info btw very handy sadly the thread has gone walkies. A failed water pump took a few hours to do that a bit fiddly. Rear brakes. Other than that its good, just the usual wear and tear items so I can't grumble. Drinks a bit much juice I get about 370 miles out of a tank although that was till petrol light pinged on I filled up till full and it read 44 litres I believe these have a 55 litre tank so I guess I had another 11 litres to guzzle away.
To add to that list it did get an advisorie for the rear control arm bushes, these don;t look very friendly to come out. The mot tester was kind enough to show me whilst it was on a ramp. He said they drop the sub frame and replace the while control arm as getting a new bush intact it more time consuming and tricky. I'm not rushing to get it done and will wait till it fails and MOT, not a dangerous part so I'm not too concerned.
writes

There is no official 40k change interval on the leads, its just something advocated by some posters here. Personally, I've had two black top zetecs and I changed the leads at 70k on the first one and after 80k ownership on the second (don't know how old they were when I bought it). It all depends how cautious you want to be but I think that 40k is too cautious unless you are getting the first signs of a misfire.
--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.giverin.co.uk
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:48:57 +0100, Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

The change interval I referred to is for the plugs. There was a TSB to dealers for the Focus that said the leads needed to be changed with the plugs, so sort of semi-official.
I've certainly seen more than one Zetec coil destroyed by old leads in less than 80k, so it's a case of 'do you feel lucky' ;-)
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the leads too.

Not really..... it was more that the plugs should be changed if the leads failed because the old plugs could bugger the new leads. So you would have to fit new plugs with new leads but not new leads with new plugs IYSWIM.

There seemed to be a "bad batch" of coils fitted to zetecs on the Focus and Fiesta around 2000-2002. Earlier Focus and Mondeos were fine particularly when the spark plug gap was reduced.
--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.giverin.co.uk

But if old plugs could bugger new leads, said plugs could also bugger old leads. Or do old plugs only bugger new leads if said old plugs have been buggered by old leads? IYSWIM ;-).
--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

writes

Yes ;)
--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.giverin.co.uk
"Tony Houghton" wrote in message wrote:

But if old plugs could bugger new leads, said plugs could also bugger old leads. Or do old plugs only bugger new leads if said old plugs have been buggered by old leads? IYSWIM ;-).
Well I'm confused hehe.
"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:48:57 +0100, Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

The change interval I referred to is for the plugs. There was a TSB to dealers for the Focus that said the leads needed to be changed with the plugs, so sort of semi-official.
I've certainly seen more than one Zetec coil destroyed by old leads in less than 80k, so it's a case of 'do you feel lucky' ;-)
Chris
This punk didn't feel lucky lol I ordered a set this morning. I had already did the plugs about 5k ago so will put these on when I pick them up. Knowing my lucky if I didn't the coil would not be so happy.

I had the Service and MOT done today at 42,000, including new plugs, total main dealer price 154.14.
They actually talked me out of having the leads changed, both at the service desk and in Parts.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:41:10 +0100, Matthews wrote:
[...]

No problem!

Absolutely not in the case of Zetec engines. Only use genuine plugs and leads from a dealer.
The change interval is only every 40k miles, so most owners will only do them once.
Chris
Just did a quote with my local unfriendly ford dealer it's £66.41 + vat for the leads! crickey sounds steep for 4 leads. A few quid cheaper at ford parts uk but you pay delivery so not much in it.

You obviously didnt ask for any discount then!
"Tim.." wrote in message

You obviously didnt ask for any discount then!
I did they said they don't offer any discounts at all. Its a few quid cheaper at ford parts UK but after delivery there's not much in it.
My local main dealer are not known for being nice nor friendly when asking for anything even stuff you buy, seriously lacking people skills. I absolutely hate dealing with them.
The leads are quite expensive when you look at a total set from eurocarparts for less than £20 but non genuine and not worth the risk to the coil. That said it will only likely be changed the once.

NO. Use only genunine Motorcraft or genunine Bosch .
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:12:18 +0100, Tim.. wrote:
[...]

And if you get Bosch ones from Halfrauds, be prepared to pay more than the genuine ones from a dealer...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:12:18 +0100, Tim.. wrote:
[...]

And if you get Bosch ones from Halfrauds, be prepared to pay more than the genuine ones from a dealer...
Chris
I discovered that when I bought the genuine ones from ford. I looked at a bosch set which I've put in every car I've owned with no issue and it would have cost more, I stuck to the original as I was told fords don't like anything else and could cause coil failure which is costly I believe.