Early MoT - wrong expiry date?

Took my car in for its MoT today and it passed with no problems. My current certificate expires 15/8/2006 but the actual test was done on

4/08/2005 (I took it early last year too). On getting home I've noticed that this year's certificate has an expiry date of 4/8/2007. Surely it should be 15/8/2007, shouldn't it? I thought that (providing it is taken within a month of the test being due) that you got 12 months MoT form the EXPIRY date of the current certificate, not 12 months from the anniversary of the previous test. Have they done it wrong and, if so, how do I go about getting it changed? (Bear in mind that it's a 30 mile round trip to go back to the MoT station so I'd like to be able to send the certificates to VOSA by post and get a replacement if possible.)
Reply to
RichardC

You are correct that the cert should be dated a year from the due date i.e.

15/8. Looks like the MOT garage has made a mistake of looking at the test date for last year rather tan the expiry date

I would phone them but I doubt you'll be able to change it

Reply to
A C

I asked about this and the MOT guy said the new computerised system wouldn't let him, then explained to me at great length how inflexible it is.

Reply to
fishman

I think I'd talk to VOSA if you're getting no joy with this guy. I'm sure there is a route for "reconciliations".

Fred

I have had a post-dated MoT from a computerized place recently so I am sure that isn't true.

ISTR that you must give them the old certificate before they start the test but even that may not be true.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey

you did take the old certificate along with you and show it to the tester before he started the test?

Reply to
Dieseldes

Yes I did give him the old certificate before the test and he said that he'd post-dated my new certificate. I'm sure that the garage have just made a genuine mistake, either through an oversight or lack of training. They are usually very good and trustworthy; that is why I drive 30 miles to get my test done there, rather than getting it done nearer to home. I'm just wondering, bearing in mind the new computerised system, if the garage can amend or re-issue the certificate, or whether it's has to be taken up with the VOSA. I don't want to have to drive all the way back to the test station if it can be sorted out by post. Now it's been established that the date is definitely wrong (I initially thought that the rules may have been changed), I shall give them a ring. I know that it's only a few days that I've lost but it's good to have the extra flexibility of my MoT expiring a couple of weeks after the road-tax is due.

Reply to
RichardC

From what I gather, changing the date on the certificate once it has been issued is a bit more complicated than post-dating a fresh MOT which can still be done as far as I know.

It might be the case. I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen automatically. It certainly never used to.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well that was a big fat lie. He cocked it up and lied to you to cover it up.

Reply to
DougP

The message from "fishman" contains these words:

It can be done - I had to have one changed a while back because they put the wrong date on it. Time consuming and not easy but possible.

Reply to
Guy King

My thoughts exactly

Why?

Reply to
Nick Dobb

If it had a computerised MOT last year, then there is an error in the computer system that needs to be addressed if it had taken the previous Issue Date to be the next Expiry Date.

It seems more likely, though that either the tester this year copied the expiry date from the wrong box off last year's hand-written VT20, or the tester last year put the dates in the wrong boxes.

Take the current & previous certificates back to the test station and ask them to issue a 'Replacement Certificate'. If this is inconvienient, post the documents to the test station instead.

Reply to
NT

Hi All, I've only just seen your Q on here and would like to help you out with your query. The over guy is incorrect. We can only provide a certificate for 12 months from the test date and are not allowed by law to post date certificates. Some test centres do but are braking the law by doing so. The police are allowed to have you retest your car at anytime if they believe your vehicle is unsafe for road use. Hope this helps you.

Reply to
<someone

The message from contains these words:

Are you saying you can no longer turn up a fortnight before your old MOT expires and have the new one run from the date of expiry of the old one? 'Cos I'm sure the paperwork says you can still do that.

Reply to
Guy King

Incorrect.

I got mine post dated by 3 weeks in May using the new VOSA computer system by a Reg Vardy main dealer. Subsequently, I got a computerised Tax Disc mailed to me. All with no problem at all.

New MOTs can be post dated to the expiry of your current MOT (by up to a month) but only if you show your current MOT.

Reply to
Zathras

An mot is valid 12 months from date of issue, but if there if less than

1 month left on previous certificate, this time can be added to the new certificate. FACT.

MoT queries ? Visit:

NT

You should see the hassle i had to go to when the police wouldnt accept my MOT at a "producer" because the MOT garage had writted a letter in a way that could be mistaken. Spent a day trying to get new certificates printed, having to take all my documents from place to place. Royal pain in the arse.

Reply to
Coyoteboy