my cavalier is creaking!

Hi, first time posting here. Hope someone can give advice. My cavalier 1.8 gls, L reg, has developed a noticeable creak when turning at slow speeds(parking etc). It also knocks going over bumps. This is all coming from the front wheel on the passenger side. I think its the shocks and possibly ball joints. Am I right? Any advice greatfully recieved. Cheers.

Reply to
muppet6556

Much more likely to be the drop links. Fairly easy to do with a socket/ratchet + open-ended spanner, and parts are only about £10-15/side.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Could also be the strut top bearing if it has done a lot of miles.

Reply to
gazzafield

Good luck - I've been chasing this same noise on my Cav for 2 years - I've changed:

The rack The wishbones & attachment bushes and bolts Ball joints Track rod ends Anti roll bar ends Springs Shocks Bearings in legs

And it still b$&*%y well does it!

Reply to
IanDTurner

It'll be an engine mount then.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Well it seems you have replaced all the components of the suspension, so that would leave the mounts. There are rubber bushes in the engine mounts. These are located at the front offside and nearside of the engine bay, and at the rear with a fork type mount that is just to the nearside of the gear linkage. If these bushes perish and there is metal to metal, you will get a clunking noise under acceleration/braking/cornering.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

check the big nut that secures the shock insert into the housing is tight, have known in cases for this to come un-done enough to cause the insert to move up and down.

Reply to
reg

But not when turning the wheels when stationary like I get............

Reply to
IanDTurner

Many thanks for the posts. Really helpful. It sounds like the engine mounts idea might be a goer and also the drop links do look a ropey. Would there be any noise if you pushed down on the bonnet,like testing the shocks, if it was the engine mounts?

Reply to
muppet6556

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com wrote in news:1150306697.053262.47690 @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Try rubbing linament into your joints ;-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Had the same prob with an old Cav a few years ago.

Mechanic mate of mine removed the drop links, drove the car around gently, creaking stopped. QED

Renewed drop links twice after that. The buggers are nylon sockets with steel balls. The nuts are sometimes a sod to get off. Plenty of Plus Gas or WYW and good fit spanner.

1 hour job and about =A320 - =A325.

Good luck

Reply to
Merryterry