Laser key cutting

I need to get a key cut for a friend's Punto. The (scrapyard) cylinder has no code stamped on it and it's been suggested that laser cutting will be the only way to get a key for it.

Are locksmiths who can do this fairly easy to come across?

Reply to
Art Deco

Absolutely, and further (depending on age) you will need the Master Red key with which to programme the new one.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Even if it's only a driver's side door lock?

Reply to
Art Deco

Well no course not!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Well, given that the door key usually starts the car as well, then yes. On most modern Fiats the key has a chip without which the car won't start.

(And for some reason it's taken 16 weeks and counting to get a spare key for my Fiat - original had a faulty chip, first replacement didn't arrive, second replacement had wrong key cut, third we're still waiting for....)

Reply to
Alan Gauton

Perhaps I should have been clearer. It's merely a replacement of a damaged door lock cylinder. The ignition key remains the same.

Fiat apparently can't provide a single lock. They want to replace all of them!

It's a fairly unsophisticated R-reg Punto, btw.

Reply to
Art Deco

In that case, you should be OK - just means you would need to carry two keys to get in the car and drive off. For example as I mentioned before, I have a key for my 2004 Fiat which opens the door and turns in the ignition, but doesn't start the engine.

Reply to
Alan Gauton