Problems with upgraded coils and shocks!?

I have an '02 Maxima SE and purchased Vogtland lowering springs and Tokico HP shocks for my car from

Afterhaving them installed and having the appropriate computerized 4-wheelalignment, I'm still noticing some issues. The suspension sounds clunkyand I even hear a vibrating sound when driving over patched roads(patched potholes). Another strange sound can be heard when turning thewheel to the right at slow speeds, such as when parking the car orturning into a drive way. This is a rubbing sound, but when the tireswere removed, there was no indication of any rubbing. I've had a coupledifferent places look over the installation and was told that it looksfine. I was also told that the ball joints looked fine. Anyone elseexperienced issues like this? Are there are other parts ormodifications that are required when lowering an '02 Maxima? I wouldguess that the extra play (from lowering the car) could result in thesprings spinning or rattling when the car goes over bumps. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Abyss23

Well you messed with Nissans engineering so what did you really expect?

Reply to
TexMexOKnext

I believe there were others on this usenet group who have used non-OEM equipment, including the Tokico struts and maybe even Vogtland springs, so I'm not the only one who's messed with Nissan's engineering ;)

Reply to
Abyss23

Not being the only one doesn't matter.

---------------------------------------------- "Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some people have mediocrity thrust upon them." Joseph Heller

Reply to
You_Know_Who~

It sounds to me like TexMesOKnext and You_Know_Who~ do not recommend messing with stock configurations, and that's fine. Is there anyone that has used lowering springs and/or the Tokico HP shocks that might have some insight?

My stock struts were already going bad and compared to Nissan's quote of replacing the OEM parts, I found these replacements more cost effective and also hoped that it would stiffen up the right and improve handling. I've found the handling to be vastly improved but I do hear some noise, but haven't seen any indication of bumping or rubbing.

Also, I'm new to this group and came across it when searching Google's groups section. I'm glad to be hear and hope to learn a lot about Maximas from the fine folks here

Reply to
Abyss23

Well be sure to keep us updated in how you solve this problem. Also how much were they Nissan asking for the replacment struts and how many miles did the first set last?

Reply to
BlackGlass

My 5cents: Apart from racing, ppl playing with stock uspension geometry seek for trouble. Nothin wrong there... The issues may look simple, but few ppl understand the complexity. I dont, and will keep away.

Well, not totally true: The aftermarket LIP front shocks [granpa model] had oval holes to adjust front caster. I pushed the adjustment full out - great handling improvement, no harm so far (I was afraid of uneven wear). Another tst I made (see link) with the front sway bar; also great improvement. However, this produces stiffness - which bring small hits on the steerin, only on patchy surface, spoils little bit the Maxima pleasure.

Reply to
Wiikinki

If you are looking for better info and a larger pool of informed Maxima users you should check out:

forums.maxima.org

Reply to
PJL

Thanks PJL, I found that site earlier and will try to work through the immense amount of information to see what I can find. I'm sure there are others who have such modifications on their Maximas, so maybe I'll be able to find a tip on how to handle this situation.

Wiikinki, I'll post a follow-up if I'm able to find a solution.

Reply to
Abyss23

a larger pool of informed Maxima users ...larger pool - of instant experts - may:) or may not:( help

Reply to
Wiikinki