mystery blue liquid

I have a bottle of mysterious blue liquid in the garage. It could be Antifreeze or it could be screen wash. Now is it better to use antifreeze as screen wash or vice versa ? Or should I just bin it !

Reply to
mr p

If it's slightly viscous and oily looking, then the odds are it's antifreeze. If you've got an antifreeze tester, it'll show if it's antifreeze by the specific gravity.

If it's thin and watery it's probably screenwash.

Either way, it's not a good idea to use in the wrong place.

Antifreeze`in the screen wash may well damage the paintwork, while screenwash in the engine won't do the anti-corrosion properties of what's in there already much good, and will probably boil off quite quickly anyway.

Reply to
John Williamson

mr p gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

For the price of either, and the cost of a c*ck-up, I'd sling it.

Reply to
Adrian

Screenwash will be far more soapy, and ready to froth than antifreeze. It will probably also smell the same as your other screenwash.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Deliberately and emphatically does *not* recommend his normal method of dipping a finger in and tasting it......

Reply to
John Williamson

Don't see why not, personally. Sweet = glycol = antifreeze. Burning sensation = methanol = screenwash. You'll only ingest a few milligrams.

Reply to
newshound

I thought glycol was the type of antifreeze that has a distinctive smell that isn't sweet. It's difficult to describe, but it's a little bit like wet fur. Screenwash usually smells "alcoholic".

I thought antifreeze was usually either green or orange, but blue is a common colour for screenwash, so I'm betting it's the latter.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

I've seen plenty of blue anti-freeze.

Used to have some stuff that changed colour to show it was correct concentration. Straw yellow when neat, dark blue green too strong, deep blue just right, pale blue too weak.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It's a risk I'll take on myself. I'd not like to suggest others take it.

Reply to
John Williamson

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:54:06 +0000, John Williamson ranted:

snipped-for-privacy@w36g2000vbi.googlegroups.com...

I've done that a few times, I'm still here.

*tentatively* tasting a tiny bit on the end of my finger. Not taking a mouthful.
Reply to
Mike P

Glycol antifreeze supplied by Unipart is coloured blue.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Can you still get Bluecol, or is that just me showing my age again?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat
[...]

Yes, and yes!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Or it could even be PortaPotti fluid! Bin it unless you KNOW what it is!

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s