Nearly Ooops

I was looking in the mirror and failed to notice that the car in front of the one in front had stopped to turn right. Braked rather hard, started to skid, released brakes, braked again, realised I wasn't going to have enough space to stop but luckily the CIFOTCIF had turned and the CIF hadn't moved off (prolly paralysed watching me being about to be 4' short of stopping distance) and oncoming traffic slow enough and with road just about wide enough to pass between then I came off the brakes again and swerved through the gap.

Not a nice experience and largely my fault, though I later found when following the CIF again [1] that he's one of these types who thinks it's trendy to paint his tail-lights black so I didn't really see them properly.

Just thought I'd let you all take the piss as part of my hair-shirt wearing. It's the first near miss I've had through my own mistake for about 100,000 miles.

[1] Though I ended up in front of him (can't think why he thought flashing his lights at me would help - did he think I didn't /know/ I'd screwed it up and had a lucky escape?) I missed a turn and had to use the non-optimal route through a junction and ended up behind him again.
Reply to
Guy King

cut

only reason is travelling too close, annoying but true.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That's Telford for ya!! ;)

Reply to
Martin McThazey

exactly the same situation apart from the car in front had pulled out of a side road without looking just enoughspace for some cadence braking, a quick right left flick, and just enough gap to squeeze through the oncoming traffic (which had stopped because he could see that the car was not going to stop) if I had been thinking about it (which I was) I would had merrily twatted the dopey cow into 3 months worth of A+E unfortunately, I needed the van (and my legs, face, glasses, etc) for the weekends festivities :)

Reply to
dojj

I'm usually looking at crumpet when this happens.

Braked rather hard,

I have ABS they can't hear you panicking.

We have all, well most of us been there and it's not a nice experience. Some will say you were too close, but I nearly went up the back of a car which I thought was still moving and it had stopped. Followed it for a while in traffic and thought how the hell can it stop without using it's brake lights. A few minutes later the driver nearly stood it on it's nose braking, again, no brake lights. I took great delight at shouting a few obscenities at the driver, explaining he had no brake lights as I overtook him.

Dave

Reply to
Rebelrouser

Now this reminds me of a trip I took to Holland with my brother in his Juggernaut.

We were batting this dual carriageway when we had to stop at some traffic lights.

Suddenly there was the very loud screach of brakes that rapidly became louder and louder until they where drown out by the sound multiple trumpet airhorns, and that pungent smell of burning rubber. Looking out of the passenger window I noticed a rather irate Dutch trucker shaking his fist.

I asked my brother 'What's up with him' 'Dunno' came the reply, 'but it may have something to do with the brake lights not working on the trailer'.

That's a day I'll never forget.

- Fatsod

Reply to
FatSod

OMG, only just realised what CIF was short for. Very funny!

Reply to
k.simons

I had a nearly yesterday too. Approaching some traffic lights at red, they changed just as I got to them. Filter lane to the left with arrow lights but just plain green for straight on. Some trucks on the nearside I was overtaking - so could only see the 'repeater' light on the other side of the road. Except that it wasn't. Someone had done the awfully clever trick of turning round one for the side road. Luckily it was a T junction, so traffic wouldn't pull off so sharply. The re-built brakes on the SD1 certainly work. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Yes and no - I was about four seconds behind - but simply wasn't paying enough attention. The car behind was for some reason interesting - and I was looking at it.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Martin McThazey" contains these words:

Except it was about ten miles West of Brecon.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Barry" contains these words:

It was the car - had a flat FOS tyre!

Reply to
Guy King

Next you'll realised not to top post ;o)

Reply to
Johnny

what colour hair did she have? ;)

Reply to
Barry

Hah, yes. I think that's the determining factor in about 90% of these cases.

Reply to
James Dore

My usual one is to assume that the CIF is going to pull out into the large gap that I could get a bus into and then suddenly realise that they aren't going to move. Fortunately I've managed to stop in time so far.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Nothing like as interesting as the flat front end you nearly had I'm sure ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

That's how we lost the wife's Maestro - the bloke behind assumed I'd gone but I was still there.

Reply to
Guy King

Hi K

Car In Front of course. 8~)