Neighbours oil change

Sodding neighbour just changed the oil in his car and thought it would be a good idea to chuck the used oil in the communal bin!

Was an amusing 1.30 watching his confused trying to do a simple job.

Although these days I pay trhe garage to do te dirty work, as I can't be bothered with the hassle of doing oil changes.

Works out only £2 more having it done at a garage for me which is great.

No doubt he's broken some law here dumping his filthy oil in the communal bin ?

Why no just put it in a container and take it to the local council tip for disposale which is not far away, pure lazyness methinks or just an arse.

Reply to
Maxi

Thus spake Maxi ( snipped-for-privacy@so.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Yes indeed... do your civic duty and report the lazy sod.

Reply to
A.Clews

Why people can't pour it down the drain like everybody else, I don't know. I bet the bin was closer?

Reply to
Gonz

I'll obviously put it in an old oil can, but no more than that. It then goes in a couple of knotted carrier bags and then in the wheelie bin. Do you mean he put the actual bare liquid oil straight in the bin? Bit much I must say. I use a lot of my old oil in protecting the underside of my old 18 feet long campervan. But I do change its oil often, so some finds its way to the bin.

I don't go along with all the environMENTAL fanaticism going on at the moment, but one thing I hate putting in the bin is old domestic batteries. AAA, AA etc. Bloomin' awful stuff in them that I'd rather they don't go into the ground. I don't give a stuff about all the plastic, metal and glass going in the ground as its fairly harmless when down there, but the chemicals in those batteries are nasty. I guess this will be the last thing they ever provide a recycling container for a the local carpark. In my opinion its about the worst thing you can put in the ground. I started keeping them in a plastic box about 1993, thinking there would be a way to dispose of them safely within a few years, but around 2002 I gave up waiting and chucked them. Now collecting them again. Very easy for us to dispose of them if they provide somewhere local take them as they don't take up space while storing them and takes a long while to collect enough to make the trip to the carpark worthwhile. I use quite a few batteries, but I wouldn't need to take them more often than ever five years as takes ages to get a small box load. Knowing the council idiots they will provide a huge metal skip for them which will take years to fill and when they come to empty it years later, wonder why the corrosive crap from the batteries has eaten a hole through the steel at the bottom.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Who is your local council ?

Reply to
OG

So then it gets into landfill, having almost certainly been punctured open by the bin van, and will pollute the ground for millenia!

Doesn't your local refuse centre have a receptacle for used Oil? If you can't be bothered to go there then PLEASE use a garage to change your oil - don't put it in the bin, even if it is in a container.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Dunno why - it came from there in the first place.

Personally, I don't buy all this eco-babble BS - take modern cars, fitted with every eco-gadget known to mankind, and fule consumption of about, what?, 38 mpg average?

Most cars in the 70's returned around 32 -35 mpg without a single piece of 'green' key to bless themselves with.

Reply to
pundit

Yes there is a lot of enviro-bollocks going around but disposing of engine oil properly isn't it.

It's poisonous and gets into the water supply. Pouring it down the drain is just plain terrorism but putting it in the bin is still risky because it could end up seeping down into the water table from the landfill.

[...]

Just keep the old cans of it around until you're going past somewhere with a dump. Then tip them in the special container.

Reply to
Ben C

Ben C gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Or take it down to the local garage and buy 'em a beer to pour it into their tank.

Or find a local farmer with an old space heater or tractor, and give it to him for his tank.

It's not as if it's difficult to get shot responsibly of such a toxic pollutant.

Reply to
Adrian

If you really care about the planet tip your oil down the drain.

It will poison lots of people's drinking water who will therefore die and produce less greenhouse gas and overpopulation. Then it will end up back in the ground where it came from.

If you take it to the dump they will burn it releasing dreaded CO2.

Reply to
Ben C

Can I pour it into the fuel tank of the Xant? It runs on veg ok, diesel, I've even put parrafin in there occasionally when I've had some left over..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Not really. Oil comes from quite a long way down in the ground. As in from the bedrock. Whereas landfill is just a hole in the soil normally. And oil straight from the ground is rather different stuff to used engine oil. Land is a very limited commodity in the UK - it's stupid to waste it by polluting large areas of it IMO.

Take something like the Golf - it's gone from weighing under a tonne to nearer a tonne and a half in its lifetime. It's faster, quieter, comfier and safer. It's a bloody miracle the fuel consumption isn't worse!

Reply to
Doki

It's not fuel consumption that particularly the issue, it's the emissions. Modern cars emit a lot less.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Where do you think the chemicals in those batteries come from?

Reply to
David Taylor

The word "think" does not seem terribly appropriate in this case.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I have and I have also complained to the his lanlord who is going to be giving him the bill for the clean up.

Whats great is now the oil he tipped in there is leaking from the bin which has some kind of air holes at the bottom and is going all over the car park now on peoples tyres :-/

Job done :-)

Reply to
Maxi

Funny enough the drain in the area are nearer than the bin but he choose the bin for some odd reason.

Reply to
Maxi

Thats right the idiot tipped it in the bin.

Reply to
Maxi

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mike P" saying something like:

You can, but... Leave it to settle for a year, or filter it fanatically to

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A bloke on the GTI club used to run an old W123 on anything and everything. Including its own engine oil.

Reply to
Doki