New clonk from an old Fiesta

I hadn't seen this before, so I thought I would share. An N plate Fiesta came in the other day with a clonk every time she went over a speed hump. I rapidly established that it came from the right hand front, it sounded a bit like the bumper flapping up and down, or as I suspected the bottom arm flailing around. An inspection showed that the rear bushes on the front arms were pretty manky, but the arm wasn't actually flapping about. I then noticed the spring, it was over the edge of the spring cup and had been riding past the cup and back again, I welded a couple of retainers onto the spring cup and re-tested it, the noise had gone !!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Pretty rare I should think.

I bet you thought you had seen it all with your experience!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I was a bit surprised, yes. But with the millions of speed humps we have locally, I bet I see it again !!! It was a really satisfying job though, when I hurled it over the speed humps and it made no clonk, I was as pleased as punch !

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I am seeing a huge increase in broken front springs; I am putting most of this down to the increase in hunps about the place- the rest from crappy re-cycled steel...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

aye me too, Peugeots & Citroens have been fitted with spring retainers to stop the spring popping out, these have been done as a recall also had a fiat Brava come through the workshop for a broken spring & it turned out this had missed its recall for the front springs, so one happy customer with a new set of road srpings fitted foc.

Reply to
reg