New Focus ST2 First Oil/Filter Change - Discuss!

I've just treated myself to a new Focus ST2.

The supplying garage does a free vehicle check at 1,500 miles.

The engine is running 5W30 semi-synthetic oil (Ford Formula E). It doesn't have a special 'running-in' oil, so I was going to have an oil and filter change done as part of the 1,500 mile check. That was until I read Honest John's guidance on running in petrol engines :-

" ...modern petrol engines are built extremely 'tight' so they need a bit of wear during the first 10,000 miles for the piston rings to bed properly into the bores. An early oil change to fully synthetic can prevent this happening, as can driving at low engine revs and driving at steady speeds.

So, depending on the engine, self-impose yourself a rev limit of between

4,000 and 5,000 for the first 1,000 miles, and be sure you vary your revs and occasionally reach that limit. After 1,000 miles, common sense dictates that you won't rev the nuts off the thing straight away, but you needn't be too worried about hitting 6,000 rpm occasionally as long as you vary the engine speed. Try never to rev to the rev limiter as the misfire this causes can damage the catalytic converter matrix.

Don't change the oil and filter until the first manufacturer recommended change point, or the end of the first year."

I can understand not changing to fully synthetic oil before the engine is 'run-in', but HJ doesn't advocate an oil/filter change before the manufacturer's first recommended service, which is one year/12,500 miles in my case.

So, what to do? Shall I have the oil and filter changed at 1,500 miles, or should I run the vehicle with the original oil for one year/12,500 miles?

I still favour the oil and filter change at 1,500 miles, but not if it will prevent the engine from bedding in properly.

Reply to
mlv

Well what does Ford say on the subject?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan Wood asked:

Well, not much, if anything, really. The subject isn't specifically mentioned in any documentation that I have.

Previous new Fords I've purchased have always received a free oil and filter change by the supplying dealer around the 600 - 1,000 mile mark.

Being cynical, I would suggest that any decision to discontinue the free 'early' oil and filter change will be that of an accountant, rather than an engineer. Cost-cutting must be at the head of the agenda, considering the losses some manufacturer's currently making.

Put simply, if an 'early' oil and filter change would be beneficial to the engine, I will pay to have it done, and if it's not beneficial, I won't.

BTW, the supplying dealer told me that the cam belt is good for 100,000 miles. Seems to good to be true, and probably is.

Reply to
mlv

Personnally, I would leave the first oil and filter change til circa 8-10k. Some wearing in is definately desired. Thereafter I would do changes at 6k intervals with the service every 12.

Make sure you drive the car reasonably hard from the off, once its fully up to temperature, and dont be afraid to stretch its legs at least acouple of times a week, especially during the first 4-5000miles.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Same interval as my 1998 Mondeo, changed at 98.5k, no problems...

Reply to
Tony Bond

Thanks Tim, I'll defer the proposed oil change at 1,500 miles until later. Probably around the 6,000 mile mark.

I guess allowing the engine oil to transmute into a ultra-fine grinding paste encourages the components to bed in?

Reply to
mlv

No, it's the limited amount of EP additives.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

EP? Extreme Pressure?

How does this come about? The engine doesn't have a special 'running in' oil, so surely the normal EP additives would be present?

Reply to
mlv

Yep, but they're agressive, they attach themselves to any sharp radiuses first, so even with normal oil they deplete much faster in a new engine. Old running in oil used to have none.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In a word, yes.

You'll also find that the car performs best on 97/98 octane, and gives better mpg too, greater than the cost of better fuel.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I wondered about that. I'm using 95 octane at the moment and getting

28.1mpg (if the on-board computer is to be believed). Is Tesco's Super-Unleaded OK? IIRC, someone (Honest John?) praised this fuel a while back.

I managed to achieve 30.1 mpg when I drove the car home after collecting it from the supplying garage. Mind you, I was being ultra-cautious as it's really bad form to prang a vehicle on its maiden voyage :-)

At the moment the ST has an annoying reluctance to start, especially from cold first thing in the morning. This morning was particularly difficult, requiring three very long cranking periods before there was any sign of life from the engine.

When the engine did finally start, it chugged a lot before it settled down, as if it was over-fuelling (i.e. cold-start mixture was too rich). I didn't touch the throttle whilst the engine was cranking. Perhaps the temperature sender is telling lies to the ECU, causing the engine to flood?

Reply to
mlv

The Volvo 5's are very prone to flooding when cold if they have been started and not warmed up properly before being shut down again. This may be your problem???

tim

Reply to
Tim..

No, in each case shut down has followed a 24 mile journey either to or from work.

The ST is becoming a right bitch to start, either from hot or cold, and it's getting worse on a daily basis.

I guess it won't be long before it strands me somewhere.

The three STs I test drove before buying (including one I hired for a couple of days) all started instantly on the turn of the key.

I guess I've managed to end up with the usual 'Friday afternoon' build :-(

Reply to
mlv

I doubt there is a sensor fault as you say it runs fine when started and no fault lamp is lit. The dealer should check nonetheless, and ensure it is running the latest software...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim wrote

No, it chugs and runs lumpy until it has warmed up, then it seems to run fine. There are no fault lights showing.

I think it is over-fuelling, because there's quite a strong smell of petrol when it does finally condescend to start.

It goes back to the supplying dealer tonight.

Brand new car, 5 days use and it's back in the garage. Hope this is a one-off.

Reply to
mlv

The factory filled oil at one time might have been a special to cope with storage. The early oil change might have been to flush out any 'bits' left during manufacture. Better oils and manufacturing techniques could have made this unnecessary. The first service might also have been used to check on other things. Again, maybe now unnecessary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When we bought a new Fiat Panda in 04, we were told "drive it like it's yours, first service in 12,000 miles"

So we did just that - drove it like a normal car, no running-in or anything, and sent it for its first service on time.

IT's been fine.

Reply to
Paul Cummins