New shape Transit failure points

Just got back from the garage after collecting the Tranny. This year it failed its commercial test on the rearward front wishbone bushes (last year it was the l/f wheel bearing).

Sticks in my craw having to pay someone to do the work, but a press was needed and I couldn't risk being stuck with no transport.

Anyway, in conversation with the bloke, he told me of a few failure points of the 2000 Transits.

  1. Front wheel bearings - Knew about that.

  1. Front wishbone bushes - he's done a lot of them this year, all the same mileage/age of van, about 40-50k, mostly 2001.

  2. Power steering/water pump drive splines being stripped under normal load - just wear and tear, but he's had a few through his workshop this year. You can't buy the splined shaft separately, so it means a new pair of pumps, as they're mounted back to back.

  1. On the 2.4 engine the rearmost cylinder isn't properly surrounded by coolant and tends to overheat on long hard-working trips, leading to ring pickup and sometimes seizure.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Just crap Ford metallurgy and fit. Splines don't wear if they're done right.

My limited experience of recent Trannies would agree.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sell your Transit privately and get a medium wheelbase Fiat high roof for under £10k at 'vans-direct'. You'll never regret it. No affiliation but have bought my sixth van from them now, all still running, including crap little Nissans, unreliable Merc Vito, lovely Vauxhall and Renaults [which are essentially the same] and now a bigger Fiat, which I know is a run-out model.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Common problem.

When the tranist 2k came out, the bushes that ford used were lucky to last to the first service. The latest bushes, seem to be lasting far better.

Not heard of that one.

Not heard of that either, but I'd more likely say it's got more to do with driver abuse. These engines are fitted with a cylinder head temperature sensor (measures the actual temp of the cylinder head alloy), which is mounted in the very rear (ie the hottest part) of the cylinder head. Any overheating, and the ECU cuts back power, but drivers will keep their foot to the floor until it actually grinds to a halt. Plus the coolant feed into the cylinder block is via a manifold so the cool water flow is directed mainly around the back two cylinders.

There are many other failure points, that I see on a regular basis. Clutch master cylinder springs break on the 2.4s Dual mass flywheels failing on 2.4s Excess axle endfloat on single wheel rwd axles Injection pump failure (both mechanically breaking up, and electronics failing) Rear wheel hubs slackening of on fwd vans Gear change cables on fwd (outer crushes/shortens) Gear selector shaft bolt on fwd shearing, and in some cases dropping into the gearbox casing Fan belt tensioner failing on 2.4s Aux drive belt tensioner failing on 2.0s Viscous couplings failing on 2.4s Vacuum pumps leaking oil on 2.4s Power steering pipes corroding.

And that's just what I can think of at the moment.

Plus I've just spent tonight swapping a 2.4 engine that's had the tip fall of the glow plug and destroy the piston. And there's also a ford ranger in that's knocking and got the tips missing of 3 glowplugs.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

"Moray Cuthill cuthill_at_v21.me.uk>"

. And there's also a ford ranger in

That's a Mazda engine isn't it? Is it the new TDCi common rail jobby or the old indirect injection one?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Moray Cuthill" saying something like:

I'm keeping this post, just to give me something else to worry about. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

Btw, do you know if the 2.4 is the same block as the 2.0? I like to know what fits where, when it comes to Ford lumps.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The old indirect one. They're going to try adjusting the tappets and fitting a new set of glow plugs, but we reckon the head till have to come of it.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Which 2.4 engine? I think most of the TDI engines (or is that TDDI) are

2.4, be it just regular direction injection or commonrail (TDCI) - AFAIK the 90bhp, 115bhp, 125bhp TDDIs and 137bhp TDCI engines are all 2.4 litre ones.

FWIW a guy I know ran a 90bhp Tranny 350 (52 plate IIRC) from new up to 200k and raved about its reliability - only failure in all that time was a starter motor. I can imagine some having more problems than others though.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

There was a bloke who used to use use Dagenham Motors in Hayes who had a

95 (I think) Transit up to 330k with only consumables like dampers, tyres, brakes etc replaced. IIRC it still had the original exhaust, too.
Reply to
Guy King

My dad's starter motor went too. And a few other things. His new Transit Connect has been worse though, in less than a year since new it's been back to the dealer 3 times to get 3 different things replaced under warantee!

Reply to
Marvin

Marvin ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was quite surprised to find out they're all built in Turkey.

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Moray Cuthill" saying something like:

He mentioned a selector fault on the fwd box - where the cables terminate theres a shaft underneath which gets stiff in its housing. All it needs is cleaned up and greased. The usual, Ford fit it dry and it catches all sorts of shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes they are. thing is, the parts arent made in turkey and it's parts that are going wrong. The build quality seems fine, just some cheapo parts that they fit to the things to cut costs. I have to wonder if they are cutting costs when there's so many warantee claims...

Reply to
Marvin

There's that problem aswell. The sealing on the top of the shaft isn't that good, so water gets into the bearings, and they eventually corrode leading to a notchy feeling gear change, until it eventually seizes. If it was sealed properly, it should get lubricated by the mist in the gearbox.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AstraVanMan" saying something like:

I don't know for sure - I'll ask him next time I see him, which won't be for a while.

Van steers and drives nicely again with the new bushes - I hadn't realised how tired the front suspension felt, got too used to it as it gradually happened.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon