Nissan Nicra starter motor problem...

Hi All,

L reg Micra - can hear starter motor turning over but does not sound like engine is being turned - sounds more 'whiney' than normal

Anyone know the likely cause ? Sounds as though motor is not engaging with engine

100% reliable up to now.

Looking on google, seems that some problems can be sorted by a few hits with a hammer to motor/solenoid (?). Can anyone let me know location of these on Micra in case that will fix

Any info appreciated

Ta

Reply to
AC

I don't know specifically about the Micra, but following a recent problem with a starter, hitting it with a spanner was just a temporary solution as it gradually had to be hit harder and harder until I topped out on spanner sizes.

The price for a replacement starter was only about £14 from a mail order breakers and it took about 1/2 hour to fit. So it might be worth just going for replacing it.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

On 31 Jan 2004 13:00:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DesignElect) employed a troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

Good plan, but... the original poster doesn't know where the starter motor is. My advice to the OP is to take it to SWK as aimlessly hitting things with a hammer can be a mildly amusing but expensive business.

Reply to
ColonelTupperware

The starter motor is the big motorey looking thing near where the engine joins onto the gearbox. It will have BIG THICK wires going to it and a little baby motor piggybacked on top. The little baby is actually the solenoid, which is an electromagnet that moves the gear into engagement with a gear on the engine. Either the solenoid (or the motor gear mechanism) has become stiff or, something that happened to one of mine, the starter motor is dying and not allowing enough current to flow through the solenoid.

In the first case you could fix it by removing, stripping and cleaning the motor. Or you could just get another that works.

You could also check the electrical connections to the solenoid are OK.

Reply to
Dan Buchan