NIssan Primera 1.6 (carb) with too fast idle

Hi

My j reg Nissan Primera 1.6 carburettor version suddenly stared to idle at about twice it's normal speed last night and hasn't returned to normal. I'm going to check the auto choke but could the exhaust sensor or any other component failure cause the same fault? I need to get it right for my MOT due very soon Thanks for any help

Mark

Reply to
Mark Charleston

I'm not familiar with the carb on the Nissan engine but I've seen a similar problem with some Escorts - they have a vacuum-operated "throttle-kicker" assembly [designed to slow the throttle-closure when you lift ofsuddenly - something to do with emission control]. There are various temperature-switches and delay-valves associated with this - if the switches are sticky or the pipes get clagged-up then the throttle-kicker can stay applied and the hot-idle-speed becomes about

2000RPM!

Simple answer - remove the kicker and block the vacuum-hose. Makes changing gear a lot more pleasant too.

Reply to
PJML

This must be a H or J reg very early primera? Same engine as the Bluebird with (probably) Hitachi carb. There is a throttle kicker and various wax stats to regulate warm up idle speed, and extra load from alternator etc etc. The first thing to check is all the vacuum pipes are still connected and not split. This is most likely the cause.

You wont have any exhaust sensor-ery etc it being a pre 92 car.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

The carburettor fitted to both the cat and non cat primera is a Nikki 21L the differance being the cat one is electronically controlled. The carb has an idle-up solenoid that reacts to the extra load the headlights, heater blower or rear screen heater put on the engine, another point to check.

Trevor Smith Primera 1600 P10

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Thanks for the advice guys , after taking the air cleaner off and poking around it seemed that the auto-choke is working ok and after poking and inspecting the vacuum hoses and checking voltages to the solenoids and auto choke they seemed ok. Then as mysteriously as it came the fault has gone.

I suspect that you are right and some cack has got in the pipies or the throttle kicker is causing the problem.. Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark Charleston

Thanks for the help i'll check the idle -up switch as well when the fault re-appears

Mark

Reply to
Mark Charleston

Thanks for the advice I will go and try it please.

Reply to
adeasifat