Non-Genuine Discs

Is there much to choose between discs from the main dealer and those from a Motor Factor?

Is a disc a disc (provided it fits and runs true) or can there be problems?

Reply to
John

John ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Will they all wear at the same rate? Will they all resist warping at the same rate?

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe different metal, some are galvanised so the unswept parts don't rust, there can be a big variation in wear rates between disc brands.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

In message , John writes

I personally think that the quality of the pad and the material is much more important. I tend to use good quality pads like Mintex, Ferodo or even the OE pads (Ford in my case) and I buy cheapy discs from a factor.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Adrian writes

The only discs I've managed to warp were relatively expensive EBC discs. Admittedly it wasn't a problem with the discs themselves but the crappy EBC Greenstuff pads which have a high metal content in the material and are notorious for warping discs.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin ( snipped-for-privacy@giverin.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've had several warped disks - even OEM ones - probably at least partly because of front-wheel handbrakes clamping the pads to hot disks.

Reply to
Adrian

You can normally buy "named" (ferrodo mintex etc) disks from your local factors for just a few quid more than their bargain basement stuff, still MUCH cheaper than main dealer prices, this is what I tend to do.

Warped disks can be prevented in a lot of cases by not holding your car on the footbrake when the brakes are hot, or (I was informed by a Ford mech concerning my Mondeo) doing the wheelbolts up to torque and no more.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Cheap unbranded discs are a gamble. Brembo HC are similar price or less than OE and can be an improvement in terms of longevity / durability, if a little noisy.

OE pads are nearly always the best choice for general road use - EBC greenstuff / redstuff are for those who like replacing things often - or trackdays / racing...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What car was this on, just as a matter of interest?

Reply to
DanTXD

In message , DanTXD writes

Ford Focus.

The original Ford discs and pads did a commendable 56k miles and the replacement EBC pads and discs lasted less than 10k before I had to scrap them. The pads were not worn but I wasn't going to risk them warping another set of discs.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I've warped several Mintex discs (nice pads crap discs). Ford Capri 2.8i vented Ford discs where far better ground than all the competition short of Tarox but in general ATE etc

Reply to
Duncanwood

My experience of Mintex pads is that they are too hard. They rip the discs up rather than wearing the pad lining.

Reply to
a.n.other

Reply to
a.n.other

So what you say is quite wrong. EBC are not "terrible quality", they are actually very good quality for what they do. However they are not suited to normal road use as they are designed for efficiency rather than longevity.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It isn't just Mintex. Most seem to be heading that route now.

Reply to
Conor