Heavily scored brake discs dangerous?

Are heavily scored brake discs dangerous, as long as they arent too thin? Does it just mean that any new pads fitted will just wear quicker?

Is it safe just to replace the pads, even just temporary till I get some discs and somebody to fit them?

Reply to
Jack Johnson

Yes. Provided they are not too thin or warped a scored disc may even perform better than a smooth one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

How thin is too thin? They look thick and solid enough to me. Its a nissan bluebird.

Reply to
Jack Johnson

if they are too heavily scored they *might* not got through the mot.

Reply to
reg

The new pads wear a lot quicker, & pads and discs are comparable in price. If they're not below limit then they're usable though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There is a wear limit stamped on the edge of the disc (probably now unreadable), roughly 5 mm less than the thickness new. if the disc is non vented then a minimum would be about 8mm, vented discs vary too much to guess. Look at the edges of the wear area, if there is a deep lip, say about 3mm deep then they are too far gone, up to about 2mm would be ok-ish though.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful