Not fun, but about the right place for it to happen

The pug continues to teach me.

Today it decided to teach me that brake lines aren't a permanent feature.

Foot went to floor, stench hit nose. A double pump of the brake and a grab of the handbrake while dropping the clutch into second left me with lots of stop.

The drivers side front wheel brake line ruptured about a foot away from the master cylinder at a bend that points forwards. Brake fluid hit the engine block hence the smell.

Obviously, my immediate task in the morning is to get hold of a replacement single line, but then I have the lovely knoweledge that I'll be spending the weekend running the other three much more difficult runs because if one has corroded...

Then I'll be getting through a swimming pool of DOT4 bleeding it all.

Brakes is important though.

Limping the remaining half mile home working on the assumption that I'd not be able to stop quickly in an emergency annoyed the hell out of a dizzie driver who tailgated me in spite of the hazards flashing. I only did it off tow because I knew that the handbrake was good and I had enough load in the back to put some weight on, plus I didn't go over

15mph for the whole half mile that is all on a gradual incline.

Ah well, some of the fluid in the back is probably getting on for antique so new lines and fresh fluid should make all things nice.

It was good too to find out that even a 15 year old car has a system in place that can recognise a lack of pressure in a line and compensate.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick