what does it mean when the handbrake light keeps coming on????

when im driving the handbrake light keeps coming, how do i find out what is wrong???

Reply to
Becky

If you told us what car it was we might be able to help...

Sometimes its coupled with the low brake fluid light so it may be that your low on brake fluid. Or you are driving around with the handbrake on!!

Reply to
Ben Organ

You're probably very low on brake fluid.

Best you'd get it fixed ASAP.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

in this case it is not the handbrake light !!!!!

the same light often serves as a brake fluid level and/or brake wear waning

RTFM to find out where the brake fluid reservoir is ( usually under the bonnet) above where the pedals would be)

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

Check the brake fluid level. Your owners manual should have this information. If the level is correct then get the advice of a garage. I low on brake fluid then top-up up to the specified level. Check the level every day. If it keeps going down then your brakes need sorting out.

Reply to
Adam B

Like the others said, it might help if you let us know what car it is :-)

It could maybe be low brake fluid, so it could be worth checking that.

BUT...... on my Carlton (actually, the day I bought it) the handbrake light flickered a fair bit, and my mate suggested to lightly put my foot on the clutch when it happened, and that made the light go out. Basically the light also acts as a clutch wear indicator, which doesn't actually detect the friction linings getting low or anything like that - it's just connected to a switch above the clutch pedal. So basically adjusting the clutch down (if it's got an adjustable clutch) could cure the problem.

So basically, when the light comes on, lightly press the clutch and see if it goes out.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pretty much what everyone else said - although on my XR4x4 - its also a sign that theres something awry with the ABS system as well - but more commonly, its either your handbrake is on (duh!), the fluid is low, the pads are worn (although on the Sierra there is the AWS which has a pad wear warning light on earlier models) or theres simply a faulty switch somewhere...

Reply to
Kai Robinson

it's either that the handbrake is on (D'oh) or you haven't got enough fluid in the braking system or the fluid is too old or the actual switch is loose (happened to me, I just hadn't screwed it in tight enough as the seats got in the way) :) hth

Reply to
dojj

More than likely low brake fluid or brake pad wear indicator.

Reply to
SteveH

Ever checked anything under the bonnet such as BRAKE FLUID?

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Gary Millar

If the level is low, check the pads for wear before simply topping up. There's a good chance they're near replacement time, and if you top up the fluid when they are, it will only have to be removed later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This happened to me a couple of months back - normally if its fluid low it starts (flickers) when you turn corners and then it gradually comes to the point were the light stays on.

A couple of things to check:- Brake fluid level (could be a leaking brake pipe/cylinder/calliper) Brake pads warn (most cars nowadays have sensors) Handbrake light switch faulty. ( in the early days these were bad)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I agree with everyone else, but thought I'd post an experience I had with my Primera a few months back in case anyone else comes across it...

Had a problem with the handbrake light coming on, almost at random times. Handbrake cable wasn't worn or stretched, the switch wasn't faulty, and the brakes and fluid were fine.

Then after a while the battery light started glowing very faintly, only noticeable at night time.

Turns out the alternator was faulty (had already had a new battery fitted because of a dry cell a few weeks earlier).

Replaced it with a refurb and the handbrake light hasn't returned since - nothing is documented anywhere about the handrake light being used to signal a faulty charging circuit, but of course it could also be dodgy wiring leading to a chain of events. :)

One to remember for any 96 Primera owners.

Reply to
Stuart