Not lending tools, excuse

We have some new neighbours that have moved in next door and they ask to borrow garden tools (and car tools).

The problem for me is I have to go and ask for them back, and they are not always there. I wanted to use my garden rake today and went around to get it back, but they are out; so I cannot do the job.

We like these neighbours and want to remain friends. What reason can I give to them not to lend my tools to them which will cause the minimal amount of friction? I'm looking for an imaginative (yet plausible) excuse to give them.

Reply to
john east

Just say no, until the previous loan is returned.

Or just say no ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

What you're doing is people pleasing or buying friendship. Neither is a good idea long term. I'll happily lend such stuff but expect it back immediately after use. If that doesn't happen without a good excuse, it shows a lack of respect. And I simply won't do so again. Anyone who can't accept this is best avoided.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"I'm afraid I've lent them to x, y, z people. Are you making a lovely Christmas list of what you're going to need? I'm sorry, it broke last week and I haven't got a replacement yet/had it mended. Sorry but I need to use them every day at this time of year but so-and-so sells a good and reasonably priced range." I think the last conveys that you feel you've helped out enoughh, that you do need to use your own tools and that you're trying to help by giving them good information. If they're new to gardening, I can understand a lack of tools but new to driving, too??!

Reply to
Sacha

'I *really* don't want to fall out with you over this but unless things are returned immediately, then this is the last time. I hope you can understand how inconvenient it is, when I have a job to do'.

Leave it at that but stick to your word.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Wait until late at night, knock at their door and ask for the tool back as you need to early in the morning?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Aye, I detest lending any tools. There are three scenarios:

Tool is not promptly returned. Tool is returned but damaged. Tool is promptly returned.

1 out 3 for a good result from the loan, not odds I like.

These people have alraedy shown that they cannot be trusted to bring the tool back promptly and this has caused *you* inconvience. They are taking advantage, don't let 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about " Sorry, its out on loan to Tom ". Every time they ask. If they say "what, still out on loan" you can say "Yes, Tom's a really nice guy but hopeless at returning stuff; which is a nuisance for me when I need them myself".

It doesn't mean you can't be seen using the absent tool yourself because if they say "See you got the rake back, can I borrow it?" you just say "Sorry no, I need it just now". Or even "Sorry no, it belongs to Harry and I've got to get it back to him".

If they get the message and you decide to give them one last chance you've paved the way for giving a firm date for return .."I'll need it back by tonight/Thursday, and you know how much trouble I've had with Tom so please don't forget."

Janet.

Reply to
Janet

I usually just say that I have not got one, or that I have lent it to someone.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You know the rules after you lend a tool you then want to use it yourself. Happens all the time.

Reply to
Rob

Is the correct answer. Honest and truthful. Each knows where they stand.

JB

Reply to
JB

"john east" wrote

Like you I always had to go and ask for my tools back when the borrower should have returned them once they had done the job. They are the ones that should feel guilty not you, think how much money these people are saving by not buying tools, they obviously think people like us are total mugs, to be taken advantage of.

Happened to me many times, you think I would have learnt quicker. Must have cost me over £500 replacing tools when I eventually got them back broken/knackered. I simply don't lend stuff any more 'cause I will be using it for ........ shortly, although I have gone and done small jobs myself for friends but then they can't keep and use them until they break. Just explain what has happened in the past and say I'm afraid I don't lend stuff any more, it's too expensive to replace. If they take offence, at least they get the message.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"My friend who is a lawyer says I shouldn't lend tools because I could be liable if people injure themselves with them" I don't know whether this is actually true but it worked for me.

Reply to
Fuschia

Worked for me with ladders!!

As we live in an age of 'Compensation Culture', one has only to quote the possibility 'of something going wrong' and my tools stay firmly in my garage or shed, UNLESS "I" am doing the job concerned.

Such as, I am doing a lot of tiling in the kitchens of Shanklin Theatre. "I" am using "MY" tools and tile cutter etc

No I am NOT going to come and tile your kitchen/bathroom thank you. Done tooooooooooo many :-(

Mike

Reply to
'Mike'

Say yes but I need it back by****. ..................................................

About two years ago ;-) I lent a mate a tool. No problem whatsoever that it lived in his shed all this time. In fact my garage was 'visited' by some scrotes who lifted all sorts of things :-(( Had the tool I lent my mate been in there, it would have gone :-((

Earlier this year I mentioned, in conversation a job I was going to do, "Oh, you will need .............."

And I got it back. :-))

Reply to
'Mike'

ghbou

I once asked my neighbour if I could borrow something or other, and he politely told me that he had bought his tools for his own use.

Fair enought you might say, not very neighbourly, but later, on another day he asked if he could borrow my torque wrench. !!!

He had a short memory and a cat in hell's chance.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Grey

Neat :-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Grey

You can say you'll be using them tomorrow and for a day or two after that. I've stopped lending out tools to neighbours, despite me saying "if you break it, you replace it" they do break them and return them broken and then it causes friction when I say "you've broken it, and I did say if you did you'd have to get me another." and they don't. So I don't lend my tools out to neighbours any more. Tina

Reply to
Christina Websell

Janet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

And you call ME sick!

Tell them the truth, ie: I want my rake when I want to use it, not when you feel like returning it!

They will learn very early on in the relationship not to try and abuse the generous nature of a neighbour. No lies or excuses.

The next thing would probably be a cup of sugar or a few quid.

A nice and friendly NO would work. What is that saying? About borrowers and lenders?

Invite the new neighbours around for a meal to show that you really arn't an ogre. You will probably have to supply bibs for them though!

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Saying you killfiled me then replying direct to my post, certainly suggests some conflict with reality.

Janet

Reply to
Janet