Now that I've bought a BMW......

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f0915c$0$28088$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.white.readfreenews.net:

One of the forum posts says that they get dry joints on the resistor packs and that you can fix the EDS Regelt by re-soldering them. Apparently, it's pack R60 and there are about 20 joints to resolder to do the whole pack. You can often see which are the dry joints, though. May have nothing to do with your fault, but you never know. I would at least open it up and have a nose round for dry joints.

Pesky electronics!

Reply to
Stu

Wot I said in an earlier post. :-)

That's what I was thinking. I've never even had the cover off the 'Power Disribution Box', so ATM I don't even know what I'd be looking for. I think I'll find out a little more before I start fiddling with anything. Cost of a new module if I bugger it up etc. :-) Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. It's at least three months since the fault last appeared, but this morning it came up on the way to work.

I rang my nearest BMW dealer some months ago. I Thaught they might know straightaway what was causing it. They didn't. Suggested I bring the car in for a check up. I asked how long that would take, and they couldn't tell me. I then asked what their hourly rate was, £90! How the hell can they justify rates like that. I told them to forget it. No way was I paying that sort of money just for them to plug it into their diagnostic machine, which is all I think they would have done..

Yup, but as long as It doesn't get any more frequent I can live with it. Especially if it's going to cost a fair bit to fix. Might see if I can pick up a CCM in the breakers. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f1088d$0$24007$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Oops...sorry :-)

Guess it depends on your confidence in your soldering ability. As long as it's easier than chipping a PS2, I'd be tempted to have a go. That was one soldering job I did that was *bloody* difficult. A fair bit of desolder braid was used there!

At least if you got a working replacement, you would then have free reign to fiddle with your old one and try to fix it - nothing to lose at that stage! Let me know the cost if you find one, I might need one too :-/

Reply to
Stu