Oil light taking a while to come back on

After standing in the cold overnight the car took a few attempts to start. I noticed the oil light was taking about 5 seconds to come back on while waiting to attempt to try and start it again. Starter motor is a bit weak. After using WD40 on the leads it fired up right away. This is an old 1.6 nissan carb engine. This suggest the leads are done?

Is the oil light taking this come back on again a bad sign of anything? It was around 0.

Reply to
Ted

Its normal. The oil pressure takes a couple of secs to drop after the engine has been turning over.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Also sprach Ted :-

No - it's a good sign. It means your engine's not badly worn - what's happening is the oil's nice and thick when the engine's cold and is taking a while to ooze out through the bearing clearances - during which time the pressure of course is still up. Thinner (hotter) oil and bigger (worn) clearances make this happen faster.

Reply to
Guy King

Not necessarily a bad sign, if the oil is recent and the right grade, the switch may be faulty, but I wouldn't worry too much unless the switch is leaking as well.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful