Old Polo Drivability Problem

93 K VW Polo 1.3 88k miles MPFI - Unsure of exact system.

The above has just been bought by one mate from another. It's in good condition and generally start & drives very well, but there is a slight problem I would like to sort for him if poss (and inexpensive ;-) ) as the new owner is a new and inexperienced driver.

The problem occurs when lifting off the accelerator at low engine speeds (i.e. below the fuel cut-off threshold). The car will surge and hesitate rather than decelerate smoothly. It does this in any gear and at a variety of road speeds, although we have not tested it at higher (>50mph) speeds. At higher engine speeds, where the fuel is cut, there is no problem. Everything else is fine, the car is smooth and actually rather nippy! The problem is more of an irritance than anything else.

Beyond the more simple possibilities (e.g. air filter, HT system condition etc) is there any particular item that might be causing the problem? The reason I ask is because my EFi knowledge is basic and, on a £150 car, it would not be cost effective to start replacing parts on a trial & error basis.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Reply to
Stu

Swap the engine for a G40 lump. Lots more drivability. ;)

The early EFi VWs like that have a basic 4 wire OBD port so if you can find someone local with a Vag-Com and the right adapter it may be worth asking if they will run a quick scan. (A lot of local water cold VW clubs have someone with a laptop and vag-com who will do a scan for a pint at the monthly meat). The best place to ask would be on the club polo forums

as there are plenty of people there who will know the engine inside out.

Reply to
Depresion

"Depresion" wrote in news:3IjJg.159$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

Thanks. Searching the forum, I couldn't find an exact match for the problem, but a similar case was linked to the O2 sensor. The car has only just passed the MOT, but I'm not certain that it's a 93 K and not a

92, so it may have been exempt from the emissions test. I might try checking the O2 sensor in a couple of weeks (after my holiday).
Reply to
Stu

It could also be the MAF but they can cause all sorts of problems and unless you drop on one in a scrappy they can be quite expensive bits to change. The good news is that it's a really simple system compared to the 95-96 on VWs so it's a good place to learn and the old polos some how has a surprising amount of space round most things (apart from the battery). (Actually if you have to disconnect the battery at some point it's worth whipping it out as it's one of the places they tend to rot.)

Reply to
Depresion

Throttle body, MAF and ISCV may require cleaning with carb cleaner, or the like. It certainly smoothed the problem you describe out in a revent Golf GTI I purchased, but that may not help your situation exactly, worth a go though if you can be bothered.

Reply to
David R

"David R" wrote in news:D7oJg.449$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Thanks for the tips, David. Will give those a try if he wants to let me go to the trouble - it's up to him.

Reply to
Stu