On a lighter note.

Could very loosely come under the heading of maintenance. I have a very industrious spider living in the drivers rearview mirror housing of my car. Has been there for weeks During the day it's parked outside my w/shop, but without fail every time I get in the car to drive home he/she has spun a thin web over the mirror, and which stretches back halfway along the door. How do I get rid of it without stripping the mirror down? I know I could possibly wash it out with a hose, or maybe blow it out with my airline, but I don't want to kill it. I never kill spiders. the ones I catch in the house, bath sink etc, get chucked outside. I saw it today for the first time but he/she is quick. Scuttled back into the housing before I could catch it and chuck it on the grass verge. Only serious replies required. I can't afford to lose any more sleep over the problem. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Gaffer tape a conker over the area where the spider lives - they hate conkers!

Of course, this is dependant on time of year :)

Reply to
Krycek

"Mike G" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So why bother evict him?

After all, the web's going to blow away as soon as you drive off, so it's not exactly a problem. If the spider gets pissed off with rebuilding it every day, he'll wander off of his own accord.

Lose _MORE_ sleep?

Reply to
Adrian

That's what I thought, but it seems quite happy to build a new one nearly every day, for at least the last month.

Should I have added a smiley? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Put a bird inside it? [1]

In all seriousness use a fly.....

When I was a kid my granddad once noticed a spider spinning a web and after we watched it complete the web we watched it then hide. My grandfather then spent the next couple of hours chasing a bluebottle around the kitchen, having detained the insect he then clipped it's wings and threw it into the web. Mr spider then emerged to administer death - providing the ideal opportunity to removed, spider, web and fly!

[1] There appears an element of risk involved with this option, at least one similar attempt ended in tragedy -

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

He gets a lot of airflow over his web, which means he's less reliant on passing trade to get his lunch - you're chasing the flies for him !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Hoover him out?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I remember that. Sung by the inimitable Burl Ives. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Not quite in the OP's spirit of "... but I don't want to kill it. I never kill spiders. the ones I catch in the house, bath sink etc, get chucked outside " ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thus spake Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@freezingcoldmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

No risk at all, provided that there are no old ladies present ;-)

I think the fly option is the easiest. Once the spider pounces you can catch her (yes, the spider will almost certainly be a female) and set her free. It'll spoil her suppertime but it's the best thing for her in the long run.

Reply to
A.Clews

Vibrate the web, spider thinks there is a live fly and comes out to investigate. Catch it and send it on it's way.

Wing mirror spiders are factory standard fitment on many cars. If you remove it, next time you take the car for service they will install a fresh one free of charge.

You may think you have electiric mirrors but it's really the spider.

I give them a 50/50 chance, I throw them out on the manhole cover that the next door neighbour throws bread crumbs for the birds. So far, they all seem to get away.

some get given names :they are fantastic, they eat all the dead bugs off your windscreen :after a hard motorway run, i love my little blinky, :had him nearly a year now

They are quite fussy over what cars they will be seen on. :My last S14 always used to have a wing mirror spider. :Since then i have had an Impreza and an MX5.... :no wing mirror spider. Last Sunday i took receipt :of another S14/a; by monday morning.... :another wing mirror spider.

they like a change of air :I took ours down to Cornwall for a holiday and then back :home again. He loved it.

and then there is the SXOC upgrade :Weeeell its been decided Nigel the wingmiror spider had to go. :He complained so we compromised and I'm letting him rent :the rear spoiler till he finds a new wingmirror to live in. :The reason Nigels had to go is because i've now upgraded to Ladybirds :Currently 5 have moved in and here they all are checking out the :various aspects of their new home :These 2 are having a game of tag on the roof :These 2, after having a shag decided to check out the bonnet badge :(must be Mum and Dad :And in this picture you can see Vince the Voyeur running off after :being spotted (geddit, spotted ) Top left quarter, dirty bugger!!! :And last but not least is little Nelly :All I have to do now is get them all to learn to hang :on at motorway speeds

tough :I've got one in my left hand mirror also, it's invincible. :I've tried jetwashing it out and it doesn't seem to mind :the 40 minutes of 100mph every day... :every morning I'm greeted with a nice web. ::Bet my spider's harder than your spider. :::My spider will take all your spiders on. ::::Bring it on. Mine's got twelve legs and webs at 2 feet per second. ~ abestos turbo hamsters :::::My spider would have your hamster. Bring it on.

which do you prefer? one little spider or 4... :I have "i like to watch what youre doing in the garage" spider :and his mate "fapping enormous bouncer" spider. both of which :have tattoos on each leg and stare at me with that :look only a spider can do..... ::It helps having 8 eyes .... you can get the same look from ::4 lions standing close to each other as well

anyway the ones you want to worry about are AIR VENT spiders.

Peter Hill

That doesn't work. Try vibrating the web in the middle and watch the spider scurry away towards the outer edge!

Reply to
Graz

Hippy :)

Reply to
Sarah

You couldn't be more wrong. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Vacuum cleaner - then empty the bag into the dustbin. It will survive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 26-Jul-08 21:06:36, News said

That's easy for you to say!!!! :)

I'm with you, Mike - I won't kill spiders if I can help it.

Mind you, I have quite a large collection of obscure sixties music. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Just buy another car.

Reply to
sKiDbKk