OT: Focus ad

Hawkwind, In Search of Space. FFS. Marketing bastards; still, I suppose it gives the old hippies something to live on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There was an advert recently with a guy diving through a car suspended sideways with all its doors open, to "Master of The Universe". I think that was a Ford too. Though 'Damnation Alley' might have been a better choice.

And there's a Hawklords tour on at the moment, with two original members. So a good time for old potheads.

Reply to
Eiron

That's the one.

True.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One of my all time favorites.

The book was OK, but the film was crap.

Dave Brock not found a way to copyright the name ? :-)

Reply to
YTC#1

I'd think Nik Turner has as much right to the Hawklords name as anybody, especially as they only used it briefly in the first place, during a "contractual hiatus".

Brockwind, touring in the new year, has one original member - Captain Brock himself.

Hawklords, semi-permanently on the road, have at least two, often three, sometimes four "original" members - where original means "has played with Hawkwind more than twice" but for *genuine* - must have been sacked by Brocky.

Reply to
Pip

One of the best periods IMO.

I'll be missing this one, but just because he is the only original, does not stop it being Hawkwind.

I've seen them a lot over the years and the current line up has done some good stuff. Nik meanwhile, when I have seen him, has been worse than a polished turd.

So, do we have a Lemwind as well then ?

Reply to
YTC#1

He reckons there's more 'unofficial' albums (read bootlegs, for the most part, or back-catalogue compilations released by ex-Hawkwind record labels, still trying to get their investment back) out there than there are official releases.

I hated it at the time, but appreciate it now.

We trot out to see him pretty much every year: the show has been on the up and up over the last three years, I reckon. Brocky is still the man, but contents himself with playing rhythm and keyboards (as badly as ever) now he has Mr. Dibs on lead and vocals - who does a very good job. The presence of Tim Blake on various keyboards and Theremin means they sound very true to the original and now every band member has a keyboard to noodle on makes for a very full sound.

I'll be seeing them in Bedford in January and tbh, I'm quite looking forward to it.

I've not seen the current Hawklords, but apparently they do a decent, if smaller and lightweight show with LOTS OF SAX, 'cos that's Nik's thing. I remember seeing Inner City Unit somewhere Scouseish and I was impressed by the old man's staying power as he blew his heart out for two hours, wearing a hooded, skintight rubber/PVC suit covered in foot- long spikes. I'd have keeled over with heat exhaustion after 10 minutes.

That's Motorhead.

Reply to
Pip

I've got a few "friends and relations" albums, they are quite good.

But I never really liked PXR5

Ditto, it is usually a Xmas treat

I've been very impressed with him.

Dancers are still s**te though :-)

I saw Nik dressed up like that as "Space Ritual", about 10 years ago. It was bad ... very very bad.

I preferred the original :-)

Reply to
YTC#1

The Dunlop "Tested for the Unexpected"

-

Audi's Hendrix one-
first claim to an ex hippies love :-) Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s