OT: Making a vehicle backfire

"I discovered that the van I had to drive could very easily be persuaded to produce very loud, frightening backfires as and when I wanted it to"

Here's a quote ...I just wondered how? Does it cause the engine harm?

I know you can do it with the engine timing out etc. but this seems to be 'to order'.

Reply to
Brownie

maybe by turning the ign off and back on while still driving but woodent have thought it would do it with injection

Reply to
George Spigot

That quote sounds familiar... Was it from a website where a bloke took pictures of his victims and publish them online for all to see?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

From the photographer yes.

Reply to
Brownie

Ford Cortinas could be made to do this. It provided hours of fun for bored reps :)

Reply to
Woof

In my motorbiking days I was following a car that kept backfiring.

It backfired, and a lump of something shot out of the exhaust and went past my head! - just missed

I would guess that its and expensive hobby if you have a Cat ...

Reply to
R. Murphy

I suspect they may have wired up some kind of ignition 'kill switch', a la my bike... which frightens all sorts of fast lane hoggers, if you get in front and then kill the ignition for a second or two. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I know a guy who used to have an escort that would backfire on demand, can't remember the technique now, summet to do with turning the engine on and off. Also, it shot a 6 foot flame out when you did it :)

Reply to
DanTXD

We used to do this in the army with the old bedford RLs. You just switch off the ignition for a few secs, the unburnt fuel pools in the exhaust, then you turn the ignition back on as you drive past your intended victim, and the fuel ignites, scaring the crap out of them. Once in a while though, the silencer explodes and it's a dead giveaway what you've been doing. This can also happen when tow starting. It's still good for a giggle though.

And yes, I know I'm showing my age again.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat