OT: using tablet as a Sat nav

Good luck with that!

Reply to
Steve H

That to stop people reclassifying rat run roads as one way streets etc.

Reply to
alan_m

And some GPS receivers are more sensitive than others. In a car environment a Satnav or phone with a Satnav App may need to be mounted on the windscreen. This may be a problem with a bigger tablet.

Inbuilt car Satnavs will have a aerial.

In my previous car I mounted my phone with SatNav App lower down on the dash and sometimes had problems with poor reception which I cured with a small dedicated GPS receiver (Qstarz 818XT) mounted in the corner of the windscreen and linking that via bluetooth to my phone using the option "Enable Mock GPS Provider". This option on a phone may only be available if you have enabled the "hidden" developer mode in one of the menus,

My car had a heated front windscreen with and area clear of wires at each edge and I'm aware that some makes of (french?) car have metal sun screen layer in the windscreen that may block signals except in the area behind the rear view mirror.

Reply to
alan_m

Maybe. Not all tarrifs allow tethering, how well it's monitored by the operator and what they do if they suspect/spot tethering is also variable.

I used to have TPO as my operator, they didn't allow tethering. Tried connecting the LAN over it, half an hour later data stopped working, automatically came back a few hours later.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a shame you can't tap into your cars GPS receivers and use those in your own homebrew tablet-sat-nav combo. Far better use of the thing than in the f****ng POS they foisted on me in the car.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Waze originally used crowd-sourced data - the map data was (and, I believe still is) updated from the GPS tracks of its users. Also, users update the real-time information - the most useful part being notification of mobile speed cameras - in real-time via the mobile app. Google bought out the original Isreali owned company when it became obvious that the crowd-sourced data was more useful than its own data.

Reply to
D A Stocks

[...]

I've never had that and I have done plenty of corrections. I usually so post real evidence like a photo of the sign post where a particular street is not named or has the wrong name and sometimes that is their own street view.

It did take months for one error to get fixed. They originally had the spelling of Snaidero Road correct, then somehow it got changed to Snadero and they ignored the correction I supplied which included a photo of the street sign. Likely the council map data was wrong and that?s why they decided that my correction was wrong. It did get fixed eventually maybe when the council data was fixed.

It can get fixed amazingly quickly. We had a major road junction out of town completely rebuilt with a big roundabout added. The council had closed the entire intersection for months due to the massive amount of work involved with a big drainage channel in the irrigation area right next to it. I knew about the closure and asked for a routing past it expecting the official diversion to be used but was surprised when it routed me thru it on the day it opened.

Some clown had moved our Anglican Cathedral to one of the slum back streets of a tiny little local village and that correction was accepted very quickly and they had obviously not required any evidence of the original move.

Just checked the new roads in what we call a new housing subdivision and you lot call a new estate which go sealed a couple of weeks ago now and they havent appeared yet. I don?t usually report those because its too much work to do that with new streets.

I gave up on Apple, they never fixed any error I reported. Others have had a better result, but not in my town which is in the wilds of australia. Must try another next time, The previous attempts where a few years ago now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I use Mapfactor on my Android tablet, it's free and uses downloaded maps so doesn't need mobile phone access.

Mike Clarke

it comes with ads and in app purchasers

are they intrusive?

(to be clear here, I have previously installed an app that came with ads, that were very intrusive, appearing when I was using any app. De-installing the errant app did not clear this, I had to do a factory reset to get rid of the ads. I don't want to go there again!)

tim

Reply to
tim...

OSMand+ is good, uses open street map data, and you can download maps if offline.

Reply to
DJC

And people ask me why I "waste money" on Apple products when their tablet / phone is "better and cheaper"...

Reply to
Steve H

But in this context didn't Apple drop its own SatNav and had to adopt TomTom mapping when their own App fell well short of expectations?

Reply to
alan_m

Don't confuse mapping data with the app using it!

Lots of companies use mapping data from 'competitors'. The Apple app. was useless in the early days, but they did start with a several year deficit vs the competition.

It's actually developed into a very good app now. Although I do like what Google have done with augmented reality - that really helps when using a navigation app to walk around an unknown city.

Reply to
Steve H

alan_m wrote

No they didn?t and they have since enhanced Apple Maps considerably with their own street view, tho currently it doesn?t have anything like the same coverage as the google maps street view.

Apple did have some big glitches with Apple Maps but you were always free to use any of the other ones and it isnt possible for a malicious app to install anything that pops up ads outside it and keeps doing that after the rogue app has been uninstalled.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I still prefer Google Maps, mainly because I mostly use it for the garage sale run and its handy to check the street view to see if a particular garage sale is a repeat of one that has been there before and when someone posts photos of what is for sale on facebook without a street number, it can be handy to use the street view to work out which house it is likely to be which has the same brickwork of fence as in the photos

Apple Maps ignores all my error reports too, Google Maps doesn?t

I love the very accurate ETA, can be handy when you have to be at a particular place at a particular time and can choose to put your foot on it when running late etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Just noticed that Apple Maps does a much better job here

Its got a couple of very rough dirt tracks between Manera and Rifle Range Road that google maps doesn?t have. These are so rough you have to be very careful in a normal car that you don?t bottom the car on the worst of the very deep holes in the track.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Much worse here tho

The two roads west of the Mallinson Rd and Lakes Rd intersection arent on Apple Maps at all and both are sealed roads, one of which has a dozen houses on it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Rod Speed