OT: using tablet as a Sat nav

Weird, this one ends up on google maps with all the browsers I tried. You can get it to open in apple maps on an iphone.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And its stupid enough to route you down it too. Totally f***ed.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What does Chinese hardware have to do with a software issue?

Hint: nothing.

Reply to
JoeJoe

And of course iPhones are made in China...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The point >. You ----------------------------------------------->

Reply to
italiancar

Only chinese hardware has that shit software.

Wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But iOS isnt and its that that stops that stupidity.

Reply to
Ray
[snip re MapFactor for Android]

Not really. There's a small advert strip along the bottom of the screen which I just ignore. A bit more of a nuisance is that when you exit the app you get presented with a full screen advert for something where the icon for closing it is much less easy to find than the link for buying the thing.

I know what you mean. I had a file manager app that used to be quite good but then it got upgraded and kept constantly bombarding me with full screen adds with sounds. I pretty quickly got rid of it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I fail to see what the manufacturer of the hardware has to do with whether apps are allowed to have a "paid for by ad" model

and, if your claim is that AppleStore doesn't allow this

How are such apps funded?

tim

Reply to
tim...

FTAOD, my example was not a mapping app

it was an app to perform a function that does not appear to be available as standard on either Apple or Android devices

tim

Reply to
tim...

how does iOS stops apps with embedded ads?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I'd suggest you Google who wrote Android...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It isnt "paid for by ad" model, its whether the OS allows the app to pop up ads when other than the app with the ads is used. In spades allowing that app to pop up ads on the system even after its been uninstalled because you hate that behaviour.

That clearly is up to the manufacturer and OS designer.

It does. But doesn't allow any app that can pop up ads in other than that app.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It doesn?t. But it does stop the app popping up ads outside the app itself. And from installing anything that keeps popping up ads even when the app has been deleted.

Reply to
Ray

Irrelevant to who wrote iOS,

Reply to
Ray

Nope

agreed

but as I don't believe that you are a designer of such a system, I doubt that you can tell the difference between an OS that can't do it

and the Appstore not allowing programs that try to, to be "sold"

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yep, because that's who chooses the OS that will be used.

Don't need to be.

Its completely trivial to observe that no one has ever reported that any device that uses iOS has ever had that happen. And to realise that it's the sandbox system that ensures that it cant with iOS.

They are tested before they can be on the applestore and iOS doesn't allow side loading of apps from other than the applestore.

Keep digging, you'll be out in china any day now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We use a ten inch tablet that has a phone function. We then use a free android App called Scout GPS. Scout then keeps a downloaded a road map on to the tablet and it marks our position on the map as we drive along. Works very well for us.

Out of interest though, when using this tablet (make name is called a Fondi ) When using this App the tablet slowly drains its battery even though it is plugged into the car 5V socket for charging). Is this normal for a tablet App to consume more than the 5v car socket inlet can deliver?

Reply to
john west

Its not the app that does that, it?s the screen and gps receiver.

Reply to
jon lopgel

I'm not surprised. My 8.3" tablet comes with a 2A charger. Plugging it into my laptop doesn't provide enough current to charge it. The 'standard' output of USB supplies is 0.5A - perhaps that's all your car socket can provide.

Reply to
Max Demian