Paint Probs

My N reg metallic blue Punto has a bonnet that looks like it has the measles. The laquer coat is lifting in spots revealing a dull blue beneath with some white spots breaking through.Obviously a major paint failure of some sort.A bad respray of some sort is no doubt to blame. In view of its age/value I am reluctant to spend circa £180 for complete respray...is there any way of disguising/treating it . TIA

Reply to
Capt T

If a good polish won't sort/hide it then why not paint it yourself?

Reply to
gazzafield

Flat the area off with 100 grit wet/dry having cleaned it thoroughly first - no trace of oil or wax must be there. Then spray it yourself with a can of lacquer. Total cost? About £5.

You may have to do each area separately unless they are close enough together to do as a whole.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I think you mean THOUSAND grit wet and dry. 100 grit is paint stripping stuff (although I've never actually seen 100 grit - 80 and 180 open papers, never seen either as W+D).

TBH I'd find another bonnet in a scrap yard. A lot easier and not much dearer than faffing around trying to sort out what will eventually turn into clear coat failure across the whole bonnet if you're unlucky.

Reply to
Doki

Whoops! Yes, I did mean 1000 grit.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

I keep 80 w+d, it is just right for use with a steel block when cleaning manifold and head faces, my car shop orders it in for me, so it is not regular stuff for them, but they do keep 100 grit !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful