Paintwork renovator?

Despite my efforts earlier in year with my AutoGlym polish etc. the bonnet on my Scirocco has gone all pink and patchy again in this crappy weather.

Can someone remind me of the name of the polish system they said to try at the time? Might as well give that a go this time see how it lasts. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Farecla G3 and G10 was probably mentioned, does pretty much the same job as Autoglym paint restorer, but a lot more easily.

Whatever you use you'll need to wax afterwards in an attempt to keep the paint from going chalky again. I'm using Meguiars at the moment, but if I had chalky paintwork I'd probably go for something that lasts for ages and is easy to put on rather than is the most brilliantly shiney. That way at least you minimise the amount of time you have to spend waxing / repolishing the car to keep the paint ok.

Reply to
Doki

That's the stuff Doki, think you mentioned it last time. :-)

I'll give it a try. I could get the bonnet resprayed I guess but as it's original and 18 years old I'd like to keep it for now. ;-) Damn red paint, always fades...

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Is T-cut still a recommended way of sparking up faded paintwork (non metallic etc) ? I have a plain blue paint that looks cloudy even when polished and was considering T cutting it to bring back the colour. Or is there a newer improved way? Sorry for butting in.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I've not used it but I always had the notion T cut was too "rough" for everyday use, mad I know. The Autoglym cutting polish works ok but it's hard work hence I'm going to give the above stuff a go. The roof is like that, not patchy or pink just dull and the cutting stuff followed by normal polish works a treat on it.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I meant the use of T cut as a once only to bring back the colour, then polish as normal. I've heard that Brasso is ok to "unbloom" paintwork too. Again as a once only application, then polish with a normal polish. Must have a look at the Autoglym cutting polish, haven't heard of that before..

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Works for me

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I would avoid t-cut like the plague. You will go straight through the already faded top coat.

There isn't a lot you can do other than a respray although the polishes mentioned will help for a short time.

Reply to
Alan

I've t-cut faded red VW's & they've come up lovely.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[snip]

In order to help prolong the shine you should also apply a good propriety car body wax.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On the contrary, T-cut is one of the mildest forms of paint restorers because it is only a smooth polishing compound not a cause rubbing compound.

T-cut is only really a paint cleanser with mild cutting abrasives, Farecla G3 on the other hand is a very coarse grade cutting compound designed to remove deeper paint layers either by polishing machine or by hand. If you can rub-through paint that easily with T-cut I would avoid using coarser cutting compounds like Farecla G3 etc.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull