passat reverse gear

Got a 1992 passat GL. 131k, 2L injection.

I have noticed that shifting into reverse will more often than not produce a nasty crunch.

I have also noticed that if i wait with the clutch down for a few seconds or shift it into a high gear (while declutched) then the crunch does not happen. So i assume that the main gear shaft is still spinning and when reverse is engaged it doesn't really like that one bit.

My question is what could be causing this? Is it normal? Could the clutch be dragging somehow? I didnt think this was it as like i say if i wait a while it doesn't happen.

dan

Reply to
Dan Ros

It's absolutely normal for cars without synchromesh on their reverse gear to do this (i.e. almost all cars with a manual gearbox).

The owners handbook that came with my car says that you have to hold down the clutch pedal for a couple of seconds before engaging reverse gear, it avoids the crunch on my car. If you rev the engine then put your foot on the clutch whilst the revs are high then quickly try to engage reverse on my car or try to engage reverse whilst moving you get crunches on mine, otherwise you do not.

-- James

Reply to
James

Synchro on first gear is quite a modern innovation too. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Oh well. Cheers :)

The only other cars ive driven for any amount of time are audi 80's... didnt seem to happen with those.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

My Dad had a JCB 3CII, with synchromesh on 3rd, 4th and 5th only.

His International Harvester 434 has no synchromesh at all...

-- James

Reply to
James

I used to drive a pre-war Rover 12 with no synchromesh at all. But it did have a freewheel which allowed poorly executed downshifts. It wasn't a crash box as such as the gear engagement was by dogs - rather like a motorcycle one. But for quiet changes you had to match the revs perfectly. Good practice which you never forget.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

With the 434 the best way to change gear is to stop first.

It does pull away happily in any gear though, unless you've got a lot of weight in the trailer.

-- James

Reply to
James