Rover 220GTi / M16 ECU ?

Hi all,

I've posted before about some trouble I have had with my 220GTi/M16 but the problem has resurfaced.

It started fine and idled/ran in the garage/drive after a new Head Gasket had been fitted and what I had hoped had been the solution to loosing water - a corroded steel pipe in the cooling system at the back of the engine.

It ran OK on a trip to town but the "misfires" started again and just before getting home it died on me. I free wheeled home, fortunataly down hill and on trying to tun it over again in the garage it fired briefly but I was greated with what appeared blue'ish smoke from the front right of the engine around the battery/ECU/Coil.

I will check the coil but could it be the ECU that was/is causing problem. Using Google there appears to be some reference to ECU causing misfires but why the smoke :-( ?

Any suggestions and help greatfully received.

Reply to
205

mmmm well we all know what "blue" smoke means............OIL. its getting through somehow, i would try a compression check to check ring wear, and you could fire it up and remove the oil filler cap.....will be a bit of pressure there and a constant "blowing" if rings are on way out.

Reply to
steve

Thanks for the reply Steve,

You would think so I apprciate.

I returned to the "problem" this morning - car started first time with no trouble and ran in the garage for 30 mins or so with no trouble at all. No obvious drips or leaks, no burning poil smell, "smoke" from the ehaust or anything similar - you would pretty much drop the bonnet and clap yur hands. This wss the same situation the oter day before though :-(

The "smoke" appeared when I tried to turn it over again when it had stopped/stalled the other day. It would fire but almost immediatly die but after two days standing it seems as right as can be. If I take it out though I suspect the same will happen as I havn't actually done anything !

I've put a pressure guage on each Cynlinder and they all appear pretty close to each other with no obvious difference.

Reply to
205