K11 Micra Gear Lever

I have just got back from picking my daughter up in my wife's Micra. Third gear did not see to engage easily and whilst there is spring pressure when moving the lever from the third/forth position to fifth/reverse there does not appear to be any, apart from the resistance of the rubber gaiter when moving the lever to the first/second position (hope this makes sense!).

The Haynes book of lies only indicates a single spring but I would have thought that there would be 2 springs, one pulling each way. Am I correct and if so are they easy, and cheap to change?

Haynes suggests removing the exhaust system but that appears over the top. I have not got it up on ramps yet as it is raining but I would like to get any parts required before I do the job on Saturday.

By the way my Wife, and my Son who drove the car yesterday, both said that engage third was hard but they forgot to tell me!

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard Green

Seems to be a common problem.